"a ghost of a chance"
a very small possibility
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I applied for the manager's job. Do you think that I might get it?
Colleague 2: I think you have a ghost of a chance.
Colleague 1: So you don't think that I will get the job?
Colleague 2: I think that the odds are small that you will get the job.
Colleague 1: But there is still some possibility that I might get it?
Colleague 2: A slight chance, yes.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Is Gloria coming to the party tonight?
Friend 2: Not a ghost of a chance.
Friend 1: Why not?
Friend 2: She has a huge final exam the day after tomorrow so she will be studying very hard.
Friend 1: But Gloria is always so prepared. Maybe she has finished studying and will come to the party.
Friend 2: I doubt it.
There is no gerund form for a ghost of a chance.
1) ... best of the chips the competition can send into the fray don't have a ghost of a chance. Now, the competition might also offer an octa-core processor.
2) ... suckered by the so-called phantom punch. So called because Liston didn't have a ghost of a chance.
3) ... good way to raise land values, and the lost souls will not stand a ghost of a chance against real estate developers.
4) Donald Trump will win in every region among Republicans, though Ted Cruz has a ghost of a chance in the state's Amish-y center.
5) ... Muslims and the whites get together, and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying?
6) ... no PACs and spent only $300 on a campaign. I didn't have a ghost of a chance against their potential million-dollar PACs.
7) The home side would not even give the visitors a ghost of a chance as the well-drilled reigning champions efficiently closed out the game.
8) Happy to have been able to survive; for no one gave me a ghost of a chance to last even 3 months.
9) However, in the big scheme of things, I don't see a ghost of a chance of such currency movements.
10) ... the contest was decidedly unequal. Mr Mohammed did not have a ghost of a chance.
11) ... has little more than a ghost of a chance to redeem himself after back to back disasters ...
12) ... has much to prove if it wants a ghost of a chance of electing anyone to office.
13) At my age and my style of music? I doubt if I have a ghost of a chance to slug it out with the younger songwriters in the finals, ...
14) It was a $1-million lawsuit that didn't -- ahem -- stand a ghost of a chance. # Not according to a judge who dismissed the unusual case.
15) In past years, Indian fiction published in English didn't stand a ghost of a chance in the domestic marketplace. Books typically sold a few thousand copies.
16) ... sometimes their own money -- on projects that to any sane eye had not a ghost of a chance.
17) ... her Prague victory was "a miracle". We didn't think we had a ghost of a chance.
18) Mahan had to chip it dead from 30 yards to stand even a ghost of a chance.
19) It made perfect sense in every way but the political; it hadn't a ghost of a chance of being taken seriously.
20) Who is the most obscure architect who doesn't have a ghost of a chance at getting the job?