"(to be) a goof-off"
to be an idle worthless person;
to be someone who avoids work and/or responsibility
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Management has paired me up with Ken for the next project.
Colleague 2: You got a bit unlucky. Ken is quite lazy. He's happy to let others do the work.
Colleague 1: Terrible that I got saddled with a goof-off.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Do you think Peter is going to come and help today?
Friend 2: I highly doubt it.
Friend 1: Why do you say that?
Friend 2: Peter is a goof-off. He'll avoid anything that resembles work. He always has an excuse.
There is no gerund form for a goof-off.
1) ... until he spots opposite direction traffic at 12 o'clock, after which he's a goof-off for not seeing it sooner.
2) ... no substitute for the real thing and therefore will not get the author (indolent goof-off that he is) off the proverbial hook.
3) "Does anyone want to tell me what that goof-off did here?" With a sheepish grin, one of the other workers ...
4) ... does well they sort of progress up the ranks, so someone who's a goof-off wouldn't end up in a high ranking position, but someone who worked hard ...
5) A self-described goof-off and girl-chaser, he often credited his wife for turning his life around and urging him to enroll in law school.
6) Charlie was an unpredictable goof-off, but it speaks to his professional skills that he was able to find a better-paying job so quickly.
7) Braver asked, "You were in the military -- were you as big a goof-off and goldbrick as Beetle Bailey?"
8) You’re lucky when you’re a goof-off and something comes along that you really want to do.
9) “I remember he was kind of a goof-off in base camp,” Short said of his first impression of Toporek. “He wasn’t a spit and polish soldier.
10) It would have been easy to mistake him for a goof-off if not for the occasional question as Conner was explaining some difficult formula.
11) ... it might well be concluded that Poster is a goof-off and his law firm, notwithstanding that Ashmann-Gerst implies that its reputation is favorable, might not be sufficiently meticulous.
12) ... was what his mother called I “goof-off.” He didn't apply himself much.
13) I went from being a little bit of I goof-off to wanting to be great. I realized how much work it would take, so I worked really hard.
14) He's a goof off, but when he goes in the ring, I say he 'clocks in.' He punches the clock and wants to win.
15) ... but in truth she's as much a goof-off as Yui, and often ends up enabling the silliest tendencies of the group.
16) We love some drone videos, but we love flying in a commercial airline without the threat of a goof-off with a $200 drone bringing our plane ...
17) I was never a good student in school because I was a goof-off, but I made up my mind to do this.
18) In other words, if you don't want to be viewed as a goof-off like Charley, you'd better get your act together.
19) Is the employee who doodles at office meetings a goof-off who's neglecting his or her responsibilities?
20) I wouldn't say I was a goof-off or a bad kid or in trouble, but I didn't have a motivating interest in ...