"a hard pill to swallow"
an unpleasant fact, disappointment, or humiliation that is difficult to endure
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How many years have you been working at this company?
Colleague 2: Seventeen.
Colleague 1: And they just let you go without warning?
Colleague 2: No warning and I have been doing some of my best work lately. I have always worked hard and performed well.
Colleague 1: That must be a hard pill to swallow.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I devoted my life to my husband. I raised our children and kept the house. I gave up my career. And now I learn that my husband is having an affair with a much younger woman. My husband tells me he is going to leave me.
Friend 2: That is a hard pill to swallow.
Friend 1: I feel like crying all the time.
There is no gerund form for a hard pill to swallow.
1) ... the alleged corrupt practices of their star cricketers will be a hard pill to swallow, given all that Pakistan cricket has gone through in the past few years.
2) The cost to try to break a transaction is a hard pill to swallow, but the alternatives may be worse. The penalty will likely be the loss ...
3) For many this is a hard pill to swallow because they have spent a large part of their lives trying to avoid it!
4) Failure is a hard pill to swallow.
5) It's a hard pill to swallow but it's something we will try and manage.
6) ... said the loss of Allen just hours before the game was a hard pill to swallow and made their game against a star-studded Belgium an ever tougher proposition.
7) ... want to step up to the challenge because it's such a hard pill to swallow if they don't succeed.
8) Investment without reward will be a hard pill to swallow after years of sustained effort.
9) It's a hard pill to swallow when a man turns out to be nothing like the picture in your mind.
10) ... losing bragging rights among my siblings was always a hard pill to swallow.
11) ... be discouraged by a form rejection letter. This is a hard pill to swallow for many writers.
12) ... draw wouldn't be too bad though a loss would be a hard pill to swallow.
13) I think that game at the weekend was a hard pill to swallow. The boys were absolutely devastated on Monday morning.
14) ... you who have lost legitimate reviews, I know this is a hard pill to swallow.
15) It was a hard pill to swallow for a while, but sooner or later most of us come to terms with ...
16) It is a hard pill to swallow when such flaws are made apparent, but in the end I would much rather ...
17) Making amends may seem like a hard pill to swallow, but for those serious about recovery it can be good medicine for the spirit ...
18) Mack Brown looked devastated. It's a hard pill to swallow, and it'll be interesting to see how he handles it, ...
19) The CEO's 70% package increase is a hard pill to swallow for many Suncorp employees.
20) Life keeps reminding me that "hope" is usually a hard pill to swallow, often unfulfilled, leaving only a really acid, bile-filled stomach.