"a kick in the pants"
a strong message of encouragement or demand
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How did your mid-year performance review go this morning?
Colleague 2: Not well. The boss told me that I was under performing and was not using my potential to its fullest. He told me I had better improve or risk losing my job.
Colleague 1: I agree with him. You needed a kick in the pants for motivation.
Two parents are talking ...
Mother: James! Get your lazy butt out of that bed and clean your room. There is no need to live in a disaster area. If you want your allowance, you also need to do your chores. Let's go! Now!
Father: That seemed a little harsh.
Mother: Sometimes James needs a kick in the pants to get up and get moving. There is no other way.
There is no gerund form for a kick in the pants.
1) ... not come entirely without a bit of criticism, exasperation and a kick in the pants.
2) Yet Australian politics needs a kick in the pants, not a gentle push.
3) ... the board and will be a whole lot better after receiving a kick in the pants from Matakanui Combined last week.
4) ... measures is indirect - that they could give the continental economy a kick in the pants and get it moving again.
5) It's about time the old ATX tower got a kick in the pants. It is a relic of times past and relevant to technologies obsolete decades ago ...
6) If anything, Bitcoin has been a kick in the pants to legacy financial systems. They should have updated and modified their technology years ago.
7) This issue gives the series a kick in the pants as far as the plot is concerned. It provides a grim but compelling view ...
8) It sometimes takes a kick in the pants -- or unwanted publicity -- to get people to do the right thing.
9) I think we need a little bit of a kick in the pants, and hopefully it's coming.
10) ... for private lessons. "It was basically to give him a kick in the pants," says the director.
11) This team needs a kick in the pants, and a coaching change can do exactly that.
12) ... can be a kick in the pants to work out longer, harder and with more enthusiasm.
13) Whether this is just a kick in the pants for the political establishment or the beginning of something more enduring remains to be seen.
14) We shared resources, and it was enough to give me a kick in the pants to give it a shot.
15) I took BlackBerry's closure as an opportunity, maybe a kick in the pants, to get out there and start something new and do something exciting and fun.
16) ... when it finally launches, will give existing ISPs like PTCL a kick in the pants to get moving again.
17) Mr. Jain's insight should be a kick in the pants to those clinging to the old notion.
18) These shows have proved to be a kick in the pants for us. Not only can we do it, we're better than ever.
19) ... a new Tokyo adventure zone, and PVP will be getting a kick in the pants with content that takes advantage of the game's three-faction system.
20) ... new and exciting places to shop and give the local economy a kick in the pants.