"a long shot"
something that will probably not succeed but is worth trying
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What do think my chances are of getting our five-million-dollar lost client back?
Colleague 2: It's a long shot.
Colleague 1: Why do you say that?
Colleague 2: The client was extremely upset when they fired us. It is very doubtful that you could ever convince them to trust us again.
Colleague 1: But for that kind of money, it is worth trying, even if the chances are slim.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: The big marathon race is tomorrow. I really hope that I can finish in the top ten.
Friend 2: That's a long shot.
Friend 1: I know that some of the best runners in the world will be competing but I have been training hard and my times are good. I can only go out and try my best no matter my chances.
Friend 2: I will be cheering for you regardless.
Friend 1: Thanks.
There is no gerund form for a long shot.
1) ... far cheaper options, and competitors offering free content means online subscription is a long shot. Newspapers seem destined for extinction.
2) It's a long shot that Clinton will be able to claw back a statistically significant amount of the blue-collar ...
3) ... a location in the Melbourne CBD for years but we knew it was a long shot to find a site of this scale with so much potential.
4) Would love to make the final, but it's possibly a long shot. I'll be happy with a personal best or a good race.
5) ... of government, to buy the rest. 'A bit of a long shot'. That's a major hurdle, as the city does not buy land ...
6) Basically, it's going to be a bit of a long shot to make it happen, but the only chance of it happening is if they ...
7) ... understands that hopes need to be tempered. Winning a medal is a long shot. I'm not even thinking about that.
8) Both Clintons had initially dismissed Sanders' candidacy as a long shot. "He's a socialist!" she had said incredulously when someone in ...
9) It seems Tiger Woods still has a shot at reclaiming lost glory -- a long shot. When he had a second back operation in the fall of 2015, ...
10) She's a long shot, but you never know!
11) His campaign is still the definition of a long shot. Past experience suggests it is all but impossible for a third party to take ...
12) It's a long shot, but it's great to have the possibility.
13) This does seem like a long shot but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
14) ... main goal of winning the election of 2016 is a long shot, a far cry from actualization!
15) Playoffs are still a long shot for the first timers, ...
16) "It seemed like a long shot, but gave it a try anyway," he said.
17) I know this is a long shot, given the series' past endeavors, but this is my dream list, ...
18) ... hoping just to make the playoffs in 2016. Even that was considered a long shot by some.
19) ... possible she'll become a victim of her own plan. It's a long shot, but there's a chance.
20) ... adores dramatic summer kite festivals. Boily's first Bali-inspired shop was a long shot in freezing Winnipeg, but it was the product of a love affair.