"a mixed bag"
an often unexpected or miscellaneous assortment of things, people or ideas
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Who attended your accounting seminar?
Colleague 2: It was a real mixed bag. There were people from the IT department, the sales department and even the customer service department.
Colleague 1: That is a strange assortment of people for an accounting seminar.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard that play you are producing debuted last night. How were the reviews?
Friend 2: The reviews are a mixed bag, everything from people absolutely loving the play to people who said they walked out half way through. There were comments on the lighting and even the temperature of the theater.
Friend 1: Interesting. But, in general, how would you classify the reviews?
Friend 2: The majority of the reviews were positive.
Friend 1: Congratulations.
There is no gerund form for a mixed bag.
1) I think Calderon's legacy will be a mixed bag of failures and successes.
2) They are a mixed bag of old and new, well-to-do and working-class, traditional and trendy.
3) For such a mixed bag, this book still feels like a coherent whole.
4) ... is expected to bring a mixed bag of snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and rain on Monday.
5) Critics, however, state that the results of the study are a mixed bag and do not necessarily justify the existence of zoos as tools for education.
6) The first unofficial trading day of summer brought a mixed bag of goods to the market.
7) Well, um, it's a mixed bag. It's complicated.
8) The special effects which the film makes use of are a mixed bag but largely all in keeping with the film's camp visual aesthetic.
9) ... some areas, it falls flat in others, making it as much of a mixed bag as every other 3D laptop we've seen to date.
10) The bosses are a mixed bag but generally have deep selections of abilities that test your accumulated skills.
11) ... have had a mixed bag of results so far, wins coming in between losses and are going into ...
12) ... which offers a mixed bag of stories that court different priorities and attain varying level of success.
13) ... is a bit of a mixed bag; at times sublime, at times jarringly out of place.
14) The result is something of a mixed bag: moments of tender and enduring beauty broken up by landfill indie pop.
15) This was indeed a mixed bag with varying skill levels.
16) these protests quickly mushroomed and began raising a mixed bag of issues, such as expansion of public services, anti-corruption, opposition to ...
17) When it comes to combat, Neverdead is a mixed bag of good ideas and failings.
18) For the final race of the day, the eight-kilometre, there was a mixed bag of athletes at the start line: young and old, locals, schoolteachers ...
19) ... but once again, they're a mixed bag. Some are fun, but others are irreversibly ruined by ...
20) It's very much a mixed bag. I see myself in two disparate ways.