something that is not worth as much money as you have to pay for it
Related words and phrases:
a copy or reproduction (usually illegal)
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Are you happy with your new electric pencil sharpener?
Colleague 2: It was a rip-off.
Colleague 1: Why? What happened?
Colleague 2: I paid good money for it and after three days, it quit working.
Colleague 1: Sounds like you got cheated.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey. Nice new smartphone you've got there. You must have paid a lot of money for it.
Friend 2: I know it looks like the expensive one but is is just a rip-off of the popular smartphone.
Friend 1: How much did you pay for it? The "real" one costs around three hundred dollars.
Friend 2: I only paid a hundred dollars.
Friend 1: Definitely not the original brand but a cheap imitation.
There is no gerund form for a rip-off.
1) Instagram released its Stories feature earlier this month -- which is basically a rip-off of Snapchat Stories.
2) ... but after that it costs $20 per date. Seems a bit of a rip-off when apps like Tinder and Happn are free.
3) It doesn't feel like a cheat or a rip-off. But there is nothing here really that makes you want to go back and ...
4) I mean why I would download an Indian dating app that is a rip-off of 3 international and successful apps, when the international apps work better?
5) ... the motor car mechanic charge prices and fees that are exorbitant, a rip-off, a heist, a daylight robbery.
6) We think they're prohibitive, they're a rip-off, they're an upfront fee which is really hard, especially when tenants are ...
7) The film's final battle also feels very much like a rip-off of the Battle for New York at the end of the first Avengers movie.
8) I maintain my stance. Subscription-based services are a rip-off and I will not support any of them.
9) all accepted that his business had been legitimate and he was "not a rip-off merchant".
10) For it's brilliance in ventilation, the design is a rip-off of the Adelaide Oval and Lord's, with the roofs resembling the former and ...
11) This suggests that high-SPF sunscreens might be a bit of a rip-off.
12) Although "Club Levels" can often feel like a rip-off, the hotel's is worth the roughly $100 splurge.
13) This will give oxygen to the view that Irish bank interest rates are a rip-off.
14) ... and that was just waiting in the Emergency Dept. What a rip-off! They shouldn't be charging at all. Taking advantage of the sick and ...
15) The so-called constituency projects constitute a distortion on the budgetary process and a rip-off of the tax-payer.
16) ... used to push the merits of emergency boiler insurance cover. It is not a rip-off but it is usually a waste of money.
17) Extended warranties are twice as much of a rip-off as gift cards. They are a mug's game.
18) Turkish music lovers sensationally claimed one of the tracks on her latest album is a rip-off of a song by an iconic Kurdish musician.
19) ... unsuccessfully launched a legal action for copyright infringement by a rip-off of his show in New Zealand.
20) Are Big Oil's margins a rip-off, as Robyn Allan claims? Different economists have different views on that.