"a white lie"
something that is not true that you tell someone in order to avoid hurting their feelings
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Didn't I just hear the boss ask you if you had that report ready for tomorrow?
Colleague 2: Yes.
Colleague 1: But I know that you don't have it ready.
Colleague 2: But I will have it ready for tomorrow so it was only a little white lie to avoid trouble.
A boyfriend and girlfriend are talking ...
Girlfriend: Does this red dress make me look fat?
Boyfriend: No way! You look wonderful.
Girlfriend: You are such a sweetheart to tell me a white lie like that.
Telling a little white lie to protect your boyfriend's feelings is OK.
1) I sympathize with people and would tell a white lie to avoid hurting their feelings.
2) ... other words, such as half-of-the-truth, part-of-the-truth. It is a "white lie," a truth that lies; a lie of omission.
3) for some reason, and maybe she meant what she said as a white lie to end this line of questioning because she was embarrassed &; worried about offending ...
4) That type of white lie chips away at your credibility.
5) A nice person you could trust. He might tell a little white lie to save someone's feelings or encourage a young singer to keep trying.
6) The purpose of this white lie appears to have been to frighten him off coming near her again.
7) But like the seemingly innocuous white lie, the pleasure of sampling forbidden fruit is more serious than it first appears.
8) Children believing in Santa is a "white lie" and doesn't do any lasting damage to any child!
9) ... so easy to commit the occasional sin of omission, to tell the little white lie that conveniently precludes taking the blame for my mistakes.
10) Try not to go into the little white lie territory or you may find yourself weaving more lies.
11) All sin separates us from God, even a little white lie.
12) I looked them up in the phone book, and told them a little white lie... That I was doing a school report on fireworks.
13) Claudia and I had a discussion where she had an opportunity to tell a white lie today to get some small gain. Instead, she didn't, and it ...
14) ... completely honest, the power builds. Slip up once, even with a white lie, and then you start from scratch.
15) Nor was Obi-Wan saying a "white lie" to get some small-term advantage or avoid some small disharmony.
16) Now can you honestly say you've never lied--even a little white lie? Never stolen--even just a paper clip?
17) The movie makes you root for his white lie -- because politics for Lincoln was about passing laws by hook or by crook.
18) Hey, if the pay is good, who wouldn't tell a white lie?
19) Honesty is always good, a white lie is still a lie, and will cause more damage in the long run.
20) Or perhaps if they are telling a white lie, and you want to get the truth.