"(to be) above board"
to be honest and legal without deception
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I just negotiated a rate cut of fifty percent on our freight contract.
Colleague 2: That seems too good to be true. Was there some sort of kickback or dishonest procedure involved?
Colleague 1: No. Everything was above board. I guess we give them so much business that they don't want to lose our account.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I am really not happy with my boyfriend. It is time that I broke it off with him.
Friend 2: So, just sit him down and tell him.
Friend 1: I don't want to hurt his feelings so I think I will make up a story about how my life has become too busy and I really can't give him the time that he deserves.
Friend 2: And when he sees you out with your friends or you get another boyfriend and he sees you?
Friend 1: I suppose it is better to be above board and honestly explain my feelings to my boyfriend.
Being above board with your feelings toward your partner is the best idea.
1) The defense argues the transactions were above board and Hubbard did not run afoul of state ethics laws.
2) Mr Howarth insisted that Hockey's trips "were all above board" and for official functions.
3) the Democratic governor maintained that a donation from a Chinese businessman was above board and "fully vetted." "There's no allegations of wrongdoing ...
4) Everything that was done was above board. "We are not an organisation that implements things without following due...
5) ... has an impeccable record of probity but some of her partymen may not be above board.
6) Even if an offer appears to be above board but seems too good to be true, then it is likely to be ...
7) Keeping things above board makes it easy to gauge the health of the business.
8) My actions in office have always been above board, transparent, and in the best interest of the safety of communities in ...
9) ... there is a case that Abhinav Bharat was not above board. That angle is being investigated.
10) The bloc, like the vice mayor, knows that the sale was above board and not tainted with anomalies because it underwent public bidding.
11) ... argues that her accounting practices were nothing new in Brazil and while not strictly above board, they were certainly not grounds for removing her from office.
12) We will ensure that the process is above board and free of any potential for corruption.
13) ... was required to pay - according to the rules of the day, legally and above board.
14) You certainly dig into it very deeply to make sure everything's above board just to make sure all the processes have been followed properly.
15) They signed contracts in good faith and were entitled to believe that they were above board -- including the myriad of murky third party deals that appear to have gotten ...
16) I'd love the system to be fair, above board and equitable. I'd love the playing field to be fair.
17) ... in all the cases mentioned in the anonymous complaint were evaluated and found to be above board.
18) What is the guarantee that credibility of this trial will remain above board if they do not take place in this country?
19) Of the seven, five are above board and two have been given eviction notices.
20) If it was all above board and not sinister why the heck didn't he just declare it existed?