"to air your dirty linen in public"
to talk publically about personal things that should remain private
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Is that the boss's wife in his office?
Colleague 2: It is. And they are having a huge argument. It is actually quite funny to watch.
Colleague 1: Probably not a good idea for the boss to air his dirty linen in public, though. It is not a good way to earn the respect of one's subordinates.
Colleague 2: And I am sure that some of the people in the office are embarrassed by it.
Two friends are watching TV ...
Friend 1: I don't understand why these people go on talk shows and reveal the most intimate details of their lives for everyone to see and hear.
Friend 2: Me neither. I was always taught that one should not air one's dirty linen in public.
Friend 1: And yet these talks shows are immensely popular.
Friend 2: I guess people like the embarrassing displays of emotion. It is kind of like witnessing a car accident, gross and horrible yet we cannot help but look.
Airing one's dirty linen in public can often be embarrassing to others.
1) ... said the advantage of using arbitration in this instance is that it is inherently confidential, so you don't air your dirty linen in public.
2) They say you shouldn't air your dirty linen in public. But 'they' would have said that probably before Twitter was launched.
3) Nobody likes when you air your dirty linen in public, but everybody is watching when you put them out to dry.
4) These tiarists air their dirty linen in public, criticizing each other rather than entertaining about the social evils.
5) Nobody needs to air their dirty linen in public, which includes in front of your family or friends. Keep things private, always solve issues or ...
6) People need to learn to control themselves, follow orders, and not air their dirty linen in public!
7) If you think about it, every government in the world share the same philosophy ie don't air your dirty linen in public, keep it within the family, ...
8) To many of his former colleagues, he was a trouble-making crank who has sought to air his dirty linen in public.
9) ... because you're always around other people sometimes you just have to air your dirty linen in public.
10) As a child I felt I had to keep secrets, in those days it was 'don't air our dirty linen in public'. Now I'm told I have post-traumatic stress ...
11) You really think the owners of this money making machine are going to air their dirty linen in public? I highly doubt it.
12) We would have delved deeper into the CM Punk issue, but as he stated, he didn't want to air that dirty linen in public.
13) It did make me realize that IndyCar takes a lot of heat just because we always air our dirty linen in public.
14) I refused, telling them that I don't want to air my dirty linen in public.
15) If I wanted to air my dirty linen in public, then there's a lot of things that I could say about them all.
16) ... in the past who have been disgruntled, said a lot of things about the organization, and I'm not going to air the dirty linen in public.
17) Of course, we had our confrontations and other problems, but I was never the one to air the dirty linen in public.
18) It serves no useful purpose to air the dirty linen in the public arena.
19) Palin should take the high road and not comment on what should be private stuff but alas she'd rather air her dirty linen out in public.
20) The long time lesbian lover of tennis great Martina Navratilova is threatening to air their dirty linen in public if she ...