"an uphill battle"
very difficult and requiring a lot of effort to struggle against very unfavorable circumstances
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Looks like we are in trouble after our recent product recall.
Colleague 2: Regaining consumer confidence is going to be an uphill battle.
Colleague 1: I agree. It is going to require a great amount of effort to have the public even think about buying our product again.
Colleague 2: I just hope we are prepared for all the hard work and effort it will require.
Two teammates are talking ...
Teammate 1: I am not sure we can ever recover enough this season to even make the play-offs.
Teammate 2: With a record of only three wins and twelve losses, it seems impossible.
Teammate 1: It is an uphill battle alright but there are eight games left in the season. If we play hard and smart and put in extra practice time and dedicate our lives to the team, we may have a chance.
There is no gerund form for an uphill battle.
1) ... has plunged 80 percent since the start of the year, meaning it faced an uphill battle to win over investors.
2) The court made its decision, and it's always an uphill battle to have a jury verdict overturned.
3) Trailing by two goals inside 25 minutes, Manor faced an uphill battle but they regrouped well and halved the deficit 10 minutes later.
4) Weight loss is an uphill battle, which is why a few helpful pieces of advice can matter.
5) ... who reached our four-year limit and we fought an uphill battle to stay in Quebec and apply for permanent status.
6) For these individuals, life is really an uphill battle, opportunities are limited and mastering new skills is not easy.
7) ... the government deployed troops to crack down on drug cartels, the army faces an uphill battle in its four-decade-old struggle to eradicate a growing opium poppy production.
8) ... but then the holiday season arrived, and now you're facing an uphill battle of resisting extra helpings of ham, freshly-baked cookies, and sugary cocktails.
9) ... so attaining a meaningful level of education was always going to be an uphill battle.
10) ... leaders have their work cut out for them. Area agencies have to fight an uphill battle. Funding is short for everyone. Space is hard to come by.
11) Fighting stereotypes. But female athletes also face an uphill battle based on cultural perceptions of what women can -- and can not -- do.
12) Gaining market share in Canada's fiercely competitive luxury automotive segment will be an uphill battle for the Korean automaker.
13) As a rookie leader and new to politics, she says it was an uphill battle.
14) ... conceded that the battle against rhino poaching had become an uphill battle in the wake of budget cuts.
15) Any evidence of wrongdoing would have made it an uphill battle for him to secure a second term as chairman.
16) The process of transforming South Africa has been an uphill battle since the dawn of democracy. Facing intransigent white-owned companies that refuse to ...
17) ... but it appears an uphill battle to set right all the ills that confront global growth going forward.
18) Though the job market is steadily improving, millennials still face an uphill battle when it comes to finding employment.
19) ... whilst the police there might work their hearts out... they've got an uphill battle where probably a large number of the community absolutely detest the police no matter ...
20) Getting all members on board for a production cut was always going to be an uphill battle. But after this weekend, the odds of a deal look increasingly grim.