"an uphill struggle"
very difficult and requiring a lot of effort to struggle against very unfavorable circumstances
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Looks like we are in trouble after our recent product recall.
Colleague 2: Regaining consumer confidence is going to be an uphill struggle.
Colleague 1: I agree. It is going to require a great amount of effort to have the public even think about buying our product again.
Colleague 2: I just hope we are prepared for all the hard work and effort it will require.
Two teammates are talking ...
Teammate 1: I am not sure we can ever recover enough this season to even make the play-offs.
Teammate 2: With a record of only three wins and twelve losses, it seems impossible.
Teammate 1: It is an uphill struggle alright but there are eight games left in the season. If we play hard and smart and put in extra practice time and dedicate our lives to the team, we may have a chance.
There is no gerund form for an uphill struggle.
1) ... has plunged 80 percent since the start of the year, meaning it faced an uphill struggle to win over investors.
2) The court made its decision, and it's always an uphill struggle to have a jury verdict overturned.
3) Trailing by two goals inside 25 minutes, Manor faced an uphill struggle but they regrouped well and halved the deficit 10 minutes later.
4) Weight loss is an uphill struggle, which is why a few helpful pieces of advice can matter.
5) ... who reached our four-year limit and we fought an uphill struggle to stay in Quebec and apply for permanent status.
6) For these individuals, life is really an uphill struggle, opportunities are limited and mastering new skills is not easy.
7) ... the government deployed troops to crack down on drug cartels, the army faces an uphill struggle in its four-decade-old struggle to eradicate a growing opium poppy production.
8) ... but then the holiday season arrived, and now you're facing an uphill struggle of resisting extra helpings of ham, freshly-baked cookies, and sugary cocktails.
9) ... so attaining a meaningful level of education was always going to be an uphill struggle.
10) ... leaders have their work cut out for them. Area agencies have to fight an uphill struggle. Funding is short for everyone. Space is hard to come by.
11) Fighting stereotypes. But female athletes also face an uphill struggle based on cultural perceptions of what women can -- and can not -- do.
12) Gaining market share in Canada's fiercely competitive luxury automotive segment will be an uphill struggle for the Korean automaker.
13) As a rookie leader and new to politics, she says it was an uphill struggle.
14) ... conceded that the battle against rhino poaching had become an uphill struggle in the wake of budget cuts.
15) Any evidence of wrongdoing would have made it an uphill struggle for him to secure a second term as chairman.
16) The process of transforming South Africa has been an uphill struggle since the dawn of democracy. Facing intransigent white-owned companies that refuse to ...
17) ... but it appears an uphill struggle to set right all the ills that confront global growth going forward.
18) Though the job market is steadily improving, millennials still face an uphill struggle when it comes to finding employment.
19) ... whilst the police there might work their hearts out... they've got an uphill struggle where probably a large number of the community absolutely detest the police no matter ...
20) Getting all members on board for a production cut was always going to be an uphill struggle. But after this weekend, the odds of a deal look increasingly grim.