"(to be) at a loss for words"
to be unable to speak;
to be uncertain of what to say
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I can't believe that Fran and Dennis offered to let our entire family stay at their house while our house was being fumigated.
Friend 2: What did you say when they offered?
Friend 1: I was at a loss for words. I was stunned by their generosity. All I could say was "Thank you".
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: You don't look happy.
Colleague 2: I am being sent to Seattle to close a deal.
Colleague 1: Sounds good. Seattle is nice this time of year.
Colleague 2: The issue is that Randy is coming with me. And you know Randy, he is never at a loss for words. Can you imagine the three-hour plane flight?
Being at a loss for words, she said nothing.
1) For the first time in my life I am at a loss for words... absolutely baffled by the electorate and the election results, especially considering ...
2) Sunday night, neither candidate was at a loss for words, and neither was at a loss for confidence as to why they ...
3) Wow after reading this blog for an hour or so I am nearly at a loss for words.... but I'll try to squeeze a few out ...
4) Never being at a loss for words, I was happy to talk about it.
5) I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with the ...
6) Murray, 50, is a vivacious woman, never at a loss for words. Friendly and welcoming, she ushers a visitor into her offices and ...
7) He was articulate. He did not get tongue tied or find himself at a loss for words.
8) I was at a loss for words. All I could do was scream ...
9) ... the lives taken and altered by this unfathomably senseless act. I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow.
10) I barely made it through that conversation because I was at a loss for words.
11) This must be serious, indeed, since he had never been at a loss for words as long as I had known him.
12) Mitchell was momentarily at a loss for words, but then offered an answer.
13) I'm at a loss for words, disgusting is all that comes to mind right now.
14) ... the overwhelming sympathy and support that I got here, and I am at a loss for words to even begin to thank all of you.
15) ... many outraged shrieks we hear may result because Lefties are totally at a loss for words.
16) ... in this conversation with this particular lady I was not only at a loss for words but was freaking out inside.
17) I was so bewildered after that goal I was actually at a loss for words for about 5 seconds and then began to throw a tirade.
18) I am just at a loss for words. Life just doesn't make sense.
19) But frankly, I'm at a loss for words. So I'll just let the pictures talk.
20) What I know is that, absorbing the news, I was uncharacteristically at a loss for words for a while, didn't know what to write ...