"at a standstill"
a state in which all motion or activity has stopped
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How are negotiations going with the union?
Colleague 2: We haven't made any progress in days. I think we are stuck.
Colleague 1: At a standstill?
Colleague 2: Yes, no movement on either side.
Colleague 1: Perhaps it's time to take a break.
A couple are talking on their cell phones ...
Wife: Your dinner is getting cold. When are you getting home?
Husband: I'm stuck in traffic. There must be an accident somewhere because traffic hasn't moved at all for the last twenty minutes.
Wife: That sucks when traffic is at a standstill. Very frustrating.
Husband: I'll be home as soon as traffic starts moving again.
There is no gerund form for at a standstill.
1) ... peace process is stalled and bitter. Israeli talks with Syria also are at a standstill.
2) ... we're kind of at a stop -- at a standstill -- right now. Nobody's really moving a whole lot on their side and ...
3) In the winter, when the lake was frozen, sailing activities were at a standstill.
4) Also, most industries that are dependent on imported parts and material are at a standstill, and the construction sector is almost halted.
5) By 1908, drilling was at a standstill, and most wells were abandoned.
6) Christmas was over, it was visiting time because farm work was almost at a standstill.
7) ... did I mention how much I hate this road? - traffic was at a standstill. In fact, it took us an hour and 15 minutes to travel 2 kilomters.
8) Production of Skyfall was at a standstill for over a year due to MGM's financial troubles and bankruptcy.
9) Either way, it seems like he is keeping you guys at a standstill. You need to find out what is going on here so you can move ...
10) Once an economy is at a standstill, it is like a massive boulder at rest.
11) Hundreds of flights were cancelled, car factories and ports were at a standstill and trains barely ran in Spain and Portugal where unions held their first ever coordinated ...
12) New home construction is at a standstill. Nearly 19% of homes stand vacant, which places further downward pressure on a ...
13) The U.S. economy is at a standstill because there is too much government; it is choking us to death.
14) With the property market at a standstill, selling up isn't easy.
15) More than 2 million people are without power, mass transit is at a standstill, roads and bridges closed amid severe damage, 29 hospitals are running on generators ...
16) Public transportation across the region is at a standstill. Schools are closed.
17) ... the U.S. sharply fell to about 1.4million, putting net migration from Mexico at a standstill.
18) ... you just feel at a standstill in your current role and you want to develop new skills ...
19) Much of the East Coast was at a standstill Monday as the storm approached. Mass transit and schools were closed across the region ...
20) 9 months later we were still at a standstill, and I needed to move on. We went to the counsellor together and ...