in the most favorable conditions
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I'm thinking of investing in some treasury bills.
Friend 2: The rates are pretty low. At best, you might get a half a percent return.
Friend 1: I understand that the return could be as low as point two percent.
Friend 2: But they are a safe investment.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Are you coming up to the cabin this weekend?
Friend 2: I think so. How long is the drive?
Friend 1: It really depends on traffic. At worst, it can take six or seven hours. At best, if you leave before rush hour, four hours.
Friend 2: I'll see you early Friday afternoon then.
There is no gerund form for at best.
1) His advice on airlines was remedial at best even before 9/11. Now it is completely useless.
2) ... a structure that seems too designed would have looked silly, at best, and insulting at worst.
3) ... school librarianship that is physically limiting in the sense that one person, two at best in most places, is expected to excel in multiple roles for student populations ...
4) ... without major changes to diet, exercise typically results in only modest weight loss at best ...
5) Quickly I realized that Obama, at best, was just another lying politician.
6) He's an average to slightly above average player at best whose offensive flexibility is severely limited by a total disregard for defense.
7) ... show that top U.S. policy-makers are soliciting and receiving advice from people who, at best, view the war on terrorism as an unchecked war on Muslims.
8) Though supporting a justice system through fines and fees is a dubious proposition at best, Iowa courts actually could meet their $156.5 million 2012 budget for court operations and ...
9) The fraction of game sale revenue your comment applies to is therefore at best a fringe 5%.
10) Of course, detection and solution of crime is, at best, a difficult and arduous task requiring determination and persistence on the part of all ...
11) ... demonstration that the factual and textual bases for the rule it propounds are, at best, less than compelling.
12) I definitely agree that this is at best a very bad way to handle a delicate situation and at worst a red flag ...
13) I tried soliciting support for Newt from those groups but the response was lukewarm at best.
14) Don't let your gift fall into the hands of an organization that is at best poorly run and at worst fraudulent.
15) At worst those assets will keep him in the league a long time. At best they'll propel him to stardom.
16) ... unverified e-voting devices are unreliable at best and dangerous at worst.
17) ... the reductions in the severity and frequency of hot flushes in post-menopausal women were at best modest compared with the effectiveness of estrogen therapy.
18) This is encouraging as Sony's previous samples from new cameras were average at best and sometimes pretty bad -- especially the promo videos.
19) This is a naive statement at best, and ignores the underlying cause of why US companies relocate overseas.
20) I'm not sure what's happening here? This blog at best is light entertainment, at worst a little bit mediocre.