without definite aim, purpose, method, or adherence to a prior arrangement;
in a haphazard way
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you heard what happened to Gerardo?
Friend 2: No.
Friend 1: He was attacked on the subway this morning on his way to work.
Friend 2: Did he know the assailant? Did Gerardo do something to antagonize the assailant?
Friend 1: No. Gerardo had no clue who the man was or why the man attacked him. It seemed to be completely at random.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Who's going to get to go to Tahiti to sign the contract with the new customer?
Colleague 2: The boss said that because we were all equally well qualified that he would hold a lottery.
Colleague 1: The lucky winner is to be chosen at random?
Colleague 2: Seems that way.
There is no gerund form for at random.
1) Genetic mutations occur at random, but within a set of constraints based on the organism and its current genetic ...
2) On Monday, we chose at random from the entrants who both Tweeted and commented. And the winner is: Ed.
3) Landline telephone numbers are chosen at random among listed telephone numbers.
4) For almost a year, I've been getting suddenly dizzy at random times of the day. When I take a shower, when I'm sitting on ...
5) ... concept of attending a class at a specific time or meeting with a professor at random and inconvenient office hours can no longer be the norm.
6) ... or I'll just open the book at random and begin to read, ...
7) There is no rhyme or reason, just what is, all occurring at random.
8) Should we issue visas to people at random, or should we pay more attention to those applying from Yemen, Pakistan, ...
9) ... putting them in a bag, shaking them up and then taking them out at random.
10) I like to stroll along the aisles, selecting titles at random, reading the first page to see if it catches my interest.
11) ... for each ask, might this be true? # Just start listing ideas at random? Yes, because they won't really be random.
12) Every bit of the active key should be generated or selected at random. Every possible combination of bits in the active key should have equal probability of ...
13) I'm a young listener discovering things at random, and I buy a hell of a lot of new music.
14) They were arrested essentially at random, without any probable cause to believe they had terror connections.
15) Did you just pick this thread at random or is there something about it that incited you to think it is relevant to ...
16) People just seem to add apostrophes at random, and it drives me crazy!
17) The scientists developed an iPhone app that contacted 2,250 volunteers at random intervals, asking them about their current activity and levels of happiness.
18) Kid curiosity is broad and shallow; they ask why at random about everything. In most adults this curiosity dries up entirely.
19) There's also a small round bullet type of enemy which spawns randomly at random part of the screen, sometimes appearing behind you, making a hit unavoidable.
20) I mentioned the Catholic Church more or less at random, as a good example of a long lived institution, ...