"at the back of your mind"
something that is understood or known but not actively considered
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Congratulations on your promotion.
Colleague 2: Thanks. I can hardly believe it has happened. I just kept working hard on whatever I was given.
Colleague 1: But a promotion was always at the back of your mind, right?
Colleague 2: I suppose if you would have asked me directly, yes, I would have said that a promotion would be great, but I didn't actively think about it.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you heard that Walter is in jail?
Friend 2: Not. What happened?
Friend 1: He was convicted of tax evasion.
Friend 2: I always had a suspicion at the back of my mind about Walter. It wasn't something I thought about a lot but some of his behaviors made me wonder about his honesty.
There is no gerund form for at the back of your mind.
1) I always thought I'd be there forever but at the back of my mind I knew one day I wanted to be my own producer.
2) ... that's a long way off, and is only at the back of my mind.
3) I always had it at the back of my mind to hand over the reins when my son was old enough to run the business.
4) At the back of my mind I knew it was coming but the reality of getting fired was still shocking.
5) ... friend moved away. A year passed. And sometimes at the back of my mind I wondered what that guy from Los Angeles was up to.
6) It is kind of bugging you at the back of your mind -- you know you should put money away -- but there are a lot more ...
7) It may be helpful to keep this knowledge at the back of your mind if you find yourself floundering through study and work.
8) The way it works is not cognitively. It echoes at the back of your mind -- not in the front of your mind.
9) ... to accept that the loss is always going to live at the back of your mind. But at the same time, you can't let it control you; ...
10) It could be at the back of your mind, but I wouldn't let that affect my relationship.
11) ... over the next year or so and he had questions at the back of his mind on how much he had in the tank to do that.
12) That's when a small idea at the back of his mind began to grow. "I always wondered what it would be like to ...
13) And now, an idea that was at the back of his mind in 2013, and knocked and shaped into a dream three years later, ...
14) So the idea of becoming an astronaut was always at the back of his mind. "It was kind of a dream to become an astronaut but it ...
15) I think that was at the back of his mind today. He was worried about my game rather than concentrating on his own one.
16) ... it because she feels obligated? Is that knockout still at the back of her mind? Is she going to be punch-shy?
17) But the grand trip was always at the back of her mind, and after saving money -- along with a compensation payout from a car accident ...
18) ... returned to teaching, but the Carmelite monastery was always at the back of her mind so she decided she had to pay it a visit.
19) ... a fashion designer, she branched into media, but at the back of her mind she always knew that she wanted to go back to creating beautiful garments.
20) Fitness competitions were always a goal at the back of her mind, Millar says, though she only entered her first one last September.