"to beat a hasty retreat"
to quickly leave a place
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I thought you were going to get a cup of coffee? Where is your coffee?
Colleague 2: Our manager and the director are arguing in the coffee room so I beat a hasty retreat.
Colleague 1: Didn't want to get involved with the argument?
Colleague 2: No thank you. I just turned around and got out of there as quickly as I could. Coffee can wait.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: This storm is starting to get really bad.
Friend 2: What should we do?
Friend 1: My mother always said that if you are out in a field and you see lightning that you should instantly beat a hasty retreat to somewhere safe.
Friend 2: OK. Let's run to your house then.
Beating a hasty retreat, he turned around and ran when he realized there were unsavory characters down the dark alley.
1) They will usually beat a hasty retreat whenever approached by a projector with a firm or confrontational attitude.
2) So after a short time looking at the eclipse, we beat a hasty retreat down. It doesn't take us long to get to the relative safety ...
3) They check out the nearest exit, just in case they need to beat a hasty retreat.
4) ... we noticed heavy storm clouds building in the west, so decided to beat a hasty retreat to Giudecca Island before the storm broke.
5) She beat a hasty retreat after being aggressively heckled by a young man who shouted that ...
6) ... corresponding display of anger. You shrink back in your chair or beat a hasty retreat to the door.
7) ... pleaded some previous engagement and, exhausted, we beat a hasty retreat to the bar of our hotel where the biggest whiskies were promptly ordered!
8) ... and then prices tumbled as banks beat a hasty retreat from easy lending.
9) I beat a hasty retreat indoors and vowed never, ever, to assist any police officer in future.
10) Having in the past beat a hasty retreat from mobbed shops full of women practically rugby tackling each other over Christmas items, ...
11) 'Call me later?' she threw over her shoulder as she beat a hasty retreat out the side door. I watched her rush across the east lawn to ...
12) ... came down with a stick and started running after me until I beat a hasty retreat and drove on.
13) ... encountered some of our female attackers and terrorised them. We beat a hasty retreat.
14) I heard Daddy coming from the cow shed and I beat a hasty retreat into the house.
15) We had to beat a hasty retreat from his noisy, enthusiastic supporters to conduct an interview in the back of ...
16) However doing it in the backseat will make it difficult for you beat a hasty retreat if and when the need arises.
17) Unfortunately the weather was rather depressing when we arrived in Invercargill, and we beat a hasty retreat to some of the nearby attractions instead.
18) Amidst sounds of muted laughter the senior male beat a hasty retreat.
19) We jumped into the closest jeep and beat a hasty retreat.
20) was obliged to beat a hasty retreat to escape the wrath of his royal patient, who disapproved of his treatment.