"to beat someone to the punch"
to do something before someone else does it
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I have got to go tell the boss about a vulnerability in our competitor's marketing strategy that I just discovered.
Colleague 2: Don't bother. Freda has already beaten you to the punch. She is in with the boss now telling him about it.
Colleague 1: Oh, darn! I guess I wasn't fast enough.
A father and son are talking ...
Father: Hey. Where's the garbage? I can hear the garbage truck coming down the street and I want to get the garbage out.
Son: I already took the garbage out.
Father: Good job beating me to the punch. That is most impressive. Well done son.
Beating your colleagues to the punch by already having prepared a vital piece of information can help earn a promotion.
1) James beat me to the punch, of course, but I was thinking the same thing: hold some classes ...
2) The Barna report also shows that... Katie beat me to the punch, so I won't rehash the excellent arguments she's made as to why ...
3) ... thinking about then I wouldn't have another album before someone beat me to the punch.
4) This particular day, someone beat me to the punch. And I guess Brad got there earlier than I did.
5) You beat me to the punch. I was going to ask you the same question concerning miracles.
6) ... drugs and vaccines to market, if another company doesn't beat them to the punch. If they didn't make profit, they wouldn't have investors, ...
7) Some people plan and are crushed when others beat them to the punch.
8) ... to suss out what other hedge funds plan to do and beat them to the punch. To stop rivals from riding its coattails, SAC sometimes makes head-fake trades ...
9) ... to launch in the next few weeks, Uber has seemingly beat them to the punch and this afternoon will begin offering taxi service in Toronto.
10) ... and put it out before we can anyway. Why not beat them to the punch and make some money for it? It was a really smart move.
11) Taylor Hunt beat him to the punch by a fraction of a second, which meant Hayes went from trying to mark ...
12) Jennings beat him to the punch, plucking Wilson's pass from the pile and tumbling to the ground.
13) Time is always critical because somebody might beat you to the punch.
14) ... think of but never acted on, and someone else just beat you to the punch because you didn't get moving.
15) ... too much time on your project, and someone else will beat you to the punch.
16) ... just about ready to make a similar point, but you beat me to the punch.
17) ... and you definitely beat me to the punch on explicating the idea as far as it applies to dragon PCs.
18) I still can't believe Sprint and T-Mobile beat them to the punch. That is about as embarrassing as it gets.
19) A team of Swiss astronomers beat them to the punch. The first planet outside our solar system had been found, but by someone ...
20) Watson has not proven smarter. He was simply able to beat them to the punch.