"better late than never"
used to say that, although you would rather have had something happen on time, it is good that the something happened rather than it never happening at all
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I hear you got a raise.
Colleague 2: And it is about time. I was supposed to get a raise last year but didn't.
Colleague 1: Well, better late than never, right?
Colleague 2: I would rather have got my raise last year, though.
Two friends are talking at a party ...
Friend 1: It's about time you got here. You're missing all the fun.
Friend 2: I had trouble getting away from the office and then traffic was very bad.
Friend 1: Glad you could make it anyways.
Friend 2: Better late than never, I always say.
There is no gerund form for better late than never.
1) I am sorry I cut off without explaining before, but better late than never.
2) ... is being answered in the last days of my life. Better late than never, I guess.
3) ... a few days after Christmas, so we got a late start, but better late than never.
4) ... and McClatchy had ABC scooped by, oh, about three weeks. But better late than never, I suppose.
5) ... only wish I had put aside my intimidation and found this group sooner. Better late than never though.
6) I'm a bit of a late bloomer but hey, better late than never!
7) This is a little late to be considered a wake-up call, but better late than never.
8) Should have been dealt with earlier but heck, better late than never.
9) ... should have done it much earlier, but it's better late than never.
10) ... need to work through them. It's only taken me 30 years. Better late than never.
11) ... topics of this past summer, I thought I would join the fray. Better late than never, I suppose.
12) The first son, after open refusal, repents of his sin -- better late than never -- and goes to work for his father.
13) Set heartily about the practice of it in your old age. It is better late than never.
14) Took me a long time to learn this, but better late than never.
15) ... trying to cut ourselves back on foreign, fossil fuels. Of course, better late than never.
16) ... path if I'd have realized what I know now 10-20 years ago. Better late than never, though, right?
17) It took Riot long enough to integrate this type of move, but better late than never.
18) I just received my compensation and disability, after (41 yrs.), better late than never, I am grateful.
19) ... decades after it should have happened. Better late than never has never been more accurate.
20) ... sorry I'm about six weeks late to get to it but better late than never.