"beyond your depth"
not having the knowledge, experience, or skills to succeed in a particular subject or manage a particular situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: This new project that I have been given to work on is going to give me a lot of trouble. It is not an area that I am at all familiar with. In fact, I have had very little experience with the issues and have no idea what I am doing.
Colleague 2: Feeling a little beyond your depth, are you?
Colleague 1: I suppose that I am going to have to do a lot of studying and consult a lot of people who might have some knowledge in the area.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was the chess tournament?
Friend 2: I was so beyond my depth that I lost the first game in only five moves.
Friend 1: Well, it was a chess tournament for masters of the game and you are only an intermediate player.
Being beyond his depth, he had no idea what was going on.
1) Here he looks bizarrely beyond his depth, unsure and wary.
2) Or is he politically clumsy and beyond his depth -- a pawn overwhelmed by events, at the mercy of a second-rate staff and ...
3) ... was shocking, shoddy, inappropriately rude behaviour and this man is beyond his depth in dealing with international leaders and the international community.
4) ... players just aren't good enough. Gervinho, sadly, is beyond his depth.
5) ... a strategic flop, reflecting the naive incompetence of an inexperienced president beyond his depth.
6) ... thing was a huge waste of time, dealing with somebody totally beyond his depth discussing the literature of myth He knew nothing about ...
7) ... though he had the sinking feeling he was beyond his depth; he'd never learned much about how electronics actually worked.
8) However, Leicester was beyond his depth and he failed to understand the complexities of the issues being fought over.
9) He's beyond his depth and lost.
10) Poorly prepared, nothing to say and beyond his depth.
11) It may be that your child is beyond their depth in the classroom and looking for a reason to fail.
12) They weren't doing anything. They seemed beyond their depth.
13) ... out of touch trust fund schoolboys running the nation. They are beyond their depth.
14) ... the fact that I had no formal training, and was well beyond my depth in being a database manager.
15) I was dreading being bogged down with techno talk, and feeling beyond my depth in shutter speed speak. (Memories of A-level photography creeping back).
16) I don't want to seem beyond my depth but it would be really helpful if you could explain that part over again.
17) Hogwash Matthews, just admit you're hopelessly beyond your depth in understanding the overall work context.
18) If you are beyond your depth, or unsure of what to do, please contact ...
19) If you haven't done it, please don't comment beyond your depth, or come up with some theoretical statement based on nothing except what a few ...
20) If you find yourself on a trail that's a bit beyond your depth, be cautious of faster riders approaching and always give way to them.