"to bide your time"
to wait patiently until a good opportunity to do something arrives
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well? Did you get the promotion?
Colleague 2: No. Not this time.
Colleague 1: What are you going to do? Are you going to quit your job and find a better one?
Colleague 2: No. I am going to bide my time, keep working hard and wait for the next opportunity.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard the stocks you bought have really plunged in value.
Friend 2: That is what happens when you play the stock market.
Friend 1: I guess you will have to bide your time and wait for a recovery.
Friend 2: Exactly. Patience is the key here.
Biding your time until just the right moment to propose marriage can result in a positive outcome.
1) ... has been biding his time while playing fantastically in the minors.
2) But the developer was simply biding his time. Standing at the back, his first and only bid of ...
3) ... the changes in personnel. He was willing to stay, to learn, to bide his time, to help others solve the problems of his beloved team.
4) ... always assumed he'd go into the private sector, build a war chest and bide his time for his own federal leadership bid. I'd never thought he'd ...
5) ... had been impressive and he was prepared to bide his time for an opening.
6) Right now, he's electronically monitored, so he'll bide his time. Then once that comes off, that's when all hell will ...
7) ... it could also be a case of investors biding their time until these announcements have been released.
8) While these interests are biding their time - the need to be seen to respect the June referendum is paramount ...
9) Members of the anti-junta opposition say they are biding their time until the 2017 election, when they can try to scrap the military.
10) Very little happens. It feels like everyone is biding their time and waiting for big things to happen later in the season.
11) ... or attempt to bide their time in hopes of a better person will appear from the pool.
12) ... sellers in particular are willing to bide their time to get a top price.
13) There, amid the oak trees and the rocks and the hot dust, they bide their time in hiding, desperate to cross into Macedonia illegally.
14) ... but being a junior club meant that they would have to bide their time before getting a shot in the big leagues.
15) Having done everything you can, you must bide your time and hope that Carl eventually disappears.
16) Just bide your time, wait until the spot opens up and seize the opportunity.
17) You can either get him straight away or bide your time and wait for another critical moment and give him exactly the same.
18) Simply stay in the background, bide your time, and wait for an opportunity.
19) Sometimes you have to bide your time, stay patient and got to be ready when you do get the ...
20) We know well enough that if you can stay patient and fight you might bide your time and get something good at the end.