"(to be) black and blue (all over)"
to be bruised, either physically or emotionally
Related words and phrases:
A paramedic is dealing with an accident victim ...
Victim: Am I going to be alright?
Paramedic: You're going to be fine. You took a really bad hit from the car but nothing is broken.
Victim: It hurts all over my body.
Paramedic: Yes, you will be black and blue from the bruising for a couple of weeks but you will be fine.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Here we go with another accusatory sermon. My conscience always feels like it has taken a beating after these sermons.
Friend 2: I know what you mean. My soul always feels black and blue all over afterwards.
Being black and blue all over, he had a very painful time getting out of bed.
1) My foot was swollen and black and blue, perhaps a fractured tarsal bone.
2) ... to the regulars simply backing away and letting themselves verbally beat each other black and blue.
3) ... within a few days most of my face from nose up was totally black and blue. I was hospitalized for 3-4 days and then home.
4) You can't beat a person black and blue with a cane because they seem like they want you to.
5) At least I made it. I would have kicked myself black and blue if I missed it.
6) ... wear gloves and have heavy make-up applied on her knees to hide the black and blue marks from her car accident.
7) ... strength to get her away from him; for she was all black and blue with bruises. He had beat her with his fist, and almost killed her.
8) My nose was black and blue and it felt like I'd been punched in the face.
9) ... you use neoprene booties that are too tight, your toes will be black and blue and incredibly painful by the end of the first day.
10) I have half my forearm black and blue right now because while learning tricks in the yard, i got a nasty nip ...
11) ... the turbid and stinking water of the jute field to drink, bitten black and blue all over by insects, lacerated by the sharp edges of the plants ...
12) She was black and blue all over after falling downstairs.
13) I'm black and blue all over You're breaking my flow How could you know what I'm saying ...
14) He found that the woman was bruised and black and blue in almost every part of her body.
15) His face was black and blue with split lips, dried blood, and one eye socket turning color.
16) There's a sense of surviving the "black and blue" year and plunging forward with hope into the new one.
17) Trouble is, he is getting battered black and blue every week.
18) It was practice and more practice, and thighs bruised black and blue from sliding into bases.
19) He has called me black and blue, and been beyond verbally abusive.
20) ... with a leather strap he had specially made. We would regularly be black and blue. He would fly into a rage at the slightest thing - dinners would end ...