"blessing in disguise"
something which at first appears to be negative or detrimental but becomes fortunate or beneficial
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: This is a disaster. We have lost our main supplier.
Colleague 2: It may be a blessing in disguise.
Colleague 1: How is that possible? We only have enough raw materials to keep production going for less than a week.
Colleague 2: We have been complaining about the poor quality and high prices of this supplier for a long time but never really had the impetus to do anything about it. This is an opportunity for us to find a better supplier and increase our profit margins..
A couple are talking ...
Wife: What are you going to do now that you have lost your job?
Husband: I am going to consider it a blessing in disguise. We have enough savings to sustain us for a couple of years and I have always wanted to have the time to really concentrate on finishing writing that novel I have been working on for years. I would never have quit my job to write.
Wife: So you see this seemingly negative event as an opportunity?
There is no gerund form for blessing in disguise.
1) Getting a painful ear infection from Lake Pelican was actually a blessing in disguise rewarded by two peaceful days in the infirmary.
2) Sweet are the use of adversity. Misfortunes can sometimes be a blessing in disguise.
3) ... part of their offense better than TCU, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise that they saw it a week ahead of time.
4) It was probably a blessing in disguise because I spent more time worrying about breathing and slowing things down.
5) ... as a disappointment to health information professionals, it may actually be a blessing in disguise. This extra year provides HIM and other industry professionals with a window of opportunity ...
6) You never can tell a blessing in disguise when it comes upon you. Only hindsight will reveal it.
7) The huge Republican defeat that is coming this November may be a blessing in disguise as it will inevitably spawn a viable third party.
8) ... but now that I am free, I completely see it as a blessing in disguise because it has led me to find my passion in life and to help others.
9) This decision as unpalatable as it is, is a blessing in disguise. It will galvanize resistance to Obama.
10) ... moved 4 times in 3 years, and having to travel lighter was a blessing in disguise. Downsizing from a large home into a very small space forces us to look ...
11) Susanne was a blessing in disguise. Her patience and knowledge helped fine-tune and teach me better writing skills.
12) I am confident that the six hour flight delay was a blessing in disguise as it allowed us to sit down and really chat.
13) To treat misery as anything but misery, as for example a blessing in disguise or a necessary factor in good, is disingenuous apologetics.
14) Sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise.... Instead of wrestling with thoughts of termination she did it for you.
15) It may also prove to have been a blessing in disguise, helping galvanize one of the world's most high-potential economies to take action on ...
16) So in a way, going meatless is a blessing in disguise. It kind of forces me to order these tasty meat-alternative dishes.
17) It is a blessing in disguise. The biggest breaks I ever got in this business was when someone got hurt.
18) This injury may be a blessing in disguise for the team to try out more rotations with their abundance of guards.
19) The gloomy weather seemed to be a blessing in disguise. If not for the rainy morning, it would have been scorching hot and ...
20) This case may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. This family's nightmare should wake up a lot of people.