the person whose monetary earnings are the primary source of support for their dependents
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: This latest round of pay-cuts is going to be very difficult to manage for me and my family.
Colleague 2: Why is that?
Colleague 1: I am the sole breadwinner in a family with three children.
Colleague 2: Your wife doesn't work?
Colleague 1: Not for a salary. She works really hard at home.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: So, your husband has quit his job and gone back to school, huh?
Friend 2: And I say good for him to pursue his dream.
Friend 1: And you are OK being the breadwinner?
Friend 2: Sure, I've got a great job with a good salary. We'll be fine. And my husband is a very progressive thinker so he won't be bothered that I am the sole provider. He is also very good around the house doing laundry and other chores. It will actually be a nice break for me not have to do those things.
There is no gerund form for breadwinner.
1) ... shaky economy, especially if you happen to be your family's sole or primary breadwinner.
2) ... as the devastation of male unemployment grew ever fiercer. The role of family breadwinner was plainly being undermined by economic forces that spat many men back into a treacherous ...
3) ... describe the destructive impact of economic recession on family life, as the role of breadwinner is undermined.
4) ... and a nuclear family is born where Dad is the in-charge breadwinner and Mom is the homemaker.
5) As the primary breadwinner in my family, who also expects to chip in my fair share on chores ...
6) ... couples even decide to reverse traditional gender roles, with the woman becoming the primary breadwinner or the man becoming a stay-at-home dad.
7) ... a guy in their first job, maybe because they expect to be a breadwinner someday, may be a little more money-conscious.
8) ... that our tax and benefits systems are structured around the sole breadwinner and female primary parent, ...
9) She's an autoworker and a breadwinner once again.
10) He felt he was the breadwinner and he was to take care of his family.
11) Remind the HR people that you're the primary breadwinner for your family with three kids, and that you'll really need help finding ...
12) I'm the sole breadwinner, but it doesn't mean her role isn't VERY important!
13) The way I see it, our country is like a family where the breadwinner is unemployed and the bills go on the plastic.
14) There is intense pressure for men to be the breadwinner. Even though most women I know are successful professionals, ...
15) ... community college courses and looks after his two children while his wife is the primary breadwinner.
16) And when new immigrants first arrived in our land, it was often the breadwinner who first made the passage and only later could he bring the family over.
17) ... based on the then-current model of the family, in which the man was the breadwinner with a nonworking wife who cared for the minor children.
18) The loss of a primary breadwinner's job is stressful for the whole family.
19) With men culturally shouldering the role of primary breadwinner for their families, unemployment hits men particularly hard.
20) Bruce's wife is sick and unable to work, leaving him as the sole breadwinner.