"to break the news"
to tell someone something important, often something bad
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I haven't seen Gerry in a long time. I wonder how he is doing.
Friend 2: Sorry to break the bad news but Gerry died three months ago.
Friend 1: That's terrible. He was so young. What a shock.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I am really looking forward to my vacation next month.
Colleague 2: I don't think you'll be taking a vacation.
Colleague 1: Why not?
Colleague 2: I suppose that if you haven't already heard that I have to break the news to you.
Colleague 1: What's going on?
Colleague 2: The company was taken over and with staff re-structuring you are going to lose your job.
Breaking the news of a family member's death can be difficult.
1) ... and Abby learned that Ziva was not the survivor and went to his condo to break the news to a devastated DiNozzo.
2) ... holding our collective breath as we wonder when and how the reticent Louis will break the news of his terminal illness to his family, ...
3) Emma wants to break the news of Hook's return gently to Regina so that it doesn't push ...
4) If that wasn't bad enough, I had to break the news to our families. My father was so distressed he collapsed and was ...
5) Now Caroline agrees to go on the run with Stefan and calls Alaric to break the news to him.
6) ... and no one could believe the couple was engaged when she first broke the news to family and friends.
7) When Pat broke the news, the man attacked him with a sweeping brush.
8) When approached after emerging from the meeting, Karthiyani broke the news that she needed to rush to hospital since ...
9) How did you find breaking the news to your parents?
10) ... admitted that she had an argument with her mother after breaking the news of her pregnancy.
11) ... she planned to break the news that she wanted to end their eighteen-year marriage.
12) She makes small talk at first but tries to break the news to him that she's too scared to be pen pals with him.
13) Did you get to break the news to him? "Yeah, I called him, and he's really excited ...
14) We can break the news gradually, but giving someone false hope through these lies is cruel.
15) He was out of town that weekend, and I thought I'd break the news to him in a creative way. I emailed him a picture of the pregnancy ...
16) Once you break the news to him, he may not know how to react.
17) When the doctor called to break the news, I remember staying strong on the phone.
18) I hate to break the news to you, but getting rich is not a "stroll in the park".
19) I hate to be the one to break the news to you here, champ, but you're not the unique snowflake that you ...
20) If the new doctor agrees to take you, you must break the news. Tell your original doctor you are happy with the care she has provided and ...