"to break your word"
to fail to keep a promise
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Where's Alice. She promised she would come and help today.
Friend 2: I guess she broke her word.
Friend 1: That is unusual for Alice. She is usually very reliable.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Are you relying on Patrick to deliver his report on time?
Colleague 2: Of course. He promised. He knows how important this is.
Colleague 1: Don't be disappointed when you don't get the report on time. Patrick is not the most honorable person. He is notorious for breaking his word.
Breaking your word after negotiating in good faith is a bad idea.
1) ... and demoted after he broke his word to the coaching staff during the bye weekend and lied about it after.
2) ... to guarantee the terms of a truce. But William's father promptly broke his word, resumed hostilities, ...
3) Eventually, when Hitler broke his word and occupied the whole of Czechoslovakia in March 1939, trust broke down completely.
4) McDonald acted intentionally and deliberately to degrade her. He broke his word, breached their friendship, exposed her to humiliation and ridicule.
5) Why has the prime minister broken his word by cutting the indexation rate of war widows pensions?
6) Of course your manager may not have broken his word because he is a bad person, but rather because he's politically weak.
7) No, Irving has never broken his word to me. He's always treated me well, since 1970.
8) ... denied the mayor has broken his word. " I don't think there's any broken promise here at all ...
9) He has also broken his word on keeping full staffed ticket offices open.
10) In the enthusiasm of tonight Rudd's so flagrantly breaking his word is lost -- seen as one of those things politicians do in these circumstances.
11) Mr. Harper may still be left with little choice because he would be breaking his word to China and the Canadian investment community.
12) ... promised him an education but when he came to their home, they broke their word.
13) ... after the papers were signed, they jacked the price up. They broke their word, ...
14) ... up plans for recall votes, to allow people to sack MPs who broke their word or fiddled their expenses.
15) Yes the Americans did a complete u-turn, broke their word, violated the previous agreement ...
16) ... swears an oath to bind himself by some agreement, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.
17) He can not break his word without very serious consequences, or before the financial crisis turns deadly.
18) ... as an excuse for the fact they have broken their word so many times that they can not negotiate any more with anyone but Labor.
19) The Palestinians have broken their word again and again. They continue to fire rockets directly at innocent Israeli families.
20) We will absolutely hold them accountable if they break their word and go back on the sequester cuts.