"to bring home the bacon"
to earn money from a job in order to take care of a family;
to be successful
Related words and phrases:
Ned and Grace are talking in the kitchen one morning before work ...
Grace: "Ready for another day at the office, Honey?"
Ned: "I suppose so."
Grace: "You don't sound very enthusiastic."
Ned: "Well, I've been working at the same company for almost thirty years. Perhaps it is time to think about retiring. I'm getting a little tired of bringing home the bacon every day."
Sam is preparing to compete in his city's annual marathon running race. Sam almost won the race last year and has been training hard all year. Some of Sam's friends have gathered to wish Sam well in his big race ...
Sandra: "I hope you win a medal today, Sam."
Sam: "Me, too. I want to bring home the bacon this year!"
If Sam brings home the bacon, does that mean that Sam will have been successful?
Bringing home the bacon every day can sometimes cause stress.
1) I bring home the bacon every day because I provide for my family.
2) You bring home the bacon in order to put a roof over your family's head.
3) He brings home the bacon because his wife does not work.
4) She brings home the bacon because her husband does not work.
5) A job brings home the bacon.
6) We bring home the bacon every time we win a tournament.
7) You (all) bring home the bacon when you (all) return home with an A+ on your exams.
8) They bring home the bacon when they are successful with their undertakings.
9) They are used to heroic narratives in which unquestioned central characters bring home the bacon of truth.
10) It was left to these four men to bring home the bacon.
11) Stay at home dads relying on their wives to bring home the bacon are looked down upon.
12) They are no longer given the opportunity to bring home the bacon, and the evidence is that that is bad for families.
13) Each partner has an obligation to bring home the bacon.
14) So who's bringing home the bacon here?
15) They loathe the idea of the working woman, bringing home the bacon.
16) I thought working whilst pregnant, and bringing home the bacon would be fine. Wrong!
17) I always believed that the nourishing/caring and the " bringing home the bacon " is something available for both genders.
18) It doesn't matter who brings home the bacon.
19) A person who brings home the bacon earns the money that a family live on.
20) So if the wife also brings home the bacon, why is it that she gets to do everything else at home too?