"by word of mouth"
by speaking rather than writing
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We need to find a non-traditional method of getting our message out to the public.
Colleague 2: What if we come up with a really interesting and funny video that we can put on YouTube?
Colleague 1: That could definitely get people talking.
Colleague 2: Friends will tell friends and it will spread by word of mouth.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: My roommate and I are going to throw a party on Saturday night. We want it to be big.
Friend 2: Do you want me to print some fliers?
Friend 1: Thanks but I don't think that will be necessary. Let's just tell friends and they can spread it by word of mouth. Much easier and cheaper that way.
There is no gerund form for by word of mouth.
1) ... as hoped, news of it spread rapidly by word of mouth among the Confederacy's slaves, arousing hopes of freedom and encouraging many to escape ...
2) At first they taught by word of mouth, and as time progressed they taught by means of the written page.
3) But the effort was showing results; his legend was spreading by word of mouth.
4) ... and most reliable way for a company to find quality employees is by word of mouth and employee referrals.
5) Advertising is also being generated by word of mouth. This is the best type of free advertising there is.
6) In just a few short years, by word of mouth, their reputation for excellence in their food and baking made them stars.
7) But knowledge is contagious. It spreads by word of mouth and by rubbing up against other people, other races and cultures, other ways ...
8) The virtues of Android tablets will be more or less spread by word of mouth.
9) But stories read by some people on the web are also spread by word of mouth.
10) And we loved them, because when you're growing slow by word of mouth, your first batch of users are the ones who were smart enough ...
11) The word would spread. You could target busy people. By word of mouth, your cleaning business would grow.
12) The news about Solar Roadways has been spreading by word of mouth, articles and blogs.
13) Is the original adapters are the ones that got their company out by word of mouth and jump-started this whole thing.
14) Readers have power to buy, to criticize, to spread by word of mouth positive and negative opinions about authors.
15) I have gotten countless jobs by word of mouth and actually look forward to shooting weddings for many years to come.
16) I only get business by word of mouth and hope to keep it that way.
17) Over a twenty-year period, this new approach spread largely by word of mouth, until today three million hectares across Niger's agricultural zone have been re-vegetated.
18) ... a business by developing relationships, a brand, and getting known by word of mouth and getting others to promote you, rather than depending on advertising, direct mail ...
19) ... in the program and their specific needs. Potential mentors are recruited by word of mouth and local media.
20) The poem circulated as a folk song, by word of mouth and all who hear it are deeply touched.