"to call a spade a spade"
to speak the brutal honest truth even though the recipient may find the truth uncomfortable
Related words and phrases:
Two owners of a business are talking ...
Owner 1: Our business seems to be struggling.
Owner 2: Struggling? That's putting it mildly. I don't think we're going to be able to pay the employees this month.
Owner 1: Maybe we can do something.
Owner 2: Our creditors are calling every day. We are more than ninety days behind on the bills.
Owner 1: What are you really saying?
Owner 2: Let's call a spade a spade. Our business is failing and it's time to declare bankruptcy.
A professor and student are talking about the student's performance ...
Professor: Your grades have not been all that good this term. In fact, at this point you are failing.
Student: I know, professor. I've been finding the work very difficult to understand.
Professor: Well, we are more than three-quarters of the way through the term. I wonder if it is possible for you to recover. Even with a perfect grade on the final exam, things seem doubtful.
Student: Why don't you call a spade a spade. Do you think I will fail this course?
Professor: Yes, sorry, you are going to fail this course.
Calling a spade a spade is sometimes a rather uncomfortable act.
1) You call a spade a spade when the unvarnished truth is necessary.
2) It is time that we call a spade a spade and rename the Democratic party to the Socialist party.
3) Just call a spade a spade if you want to be understood.
4) It may also help to call a spade a spade and realize that you are dealing with an emotional abuser.
5) I loved this band, but I can still call a spade a spade. I never really liked the sound of the band after Vince took over.
6) Lets at least call a spade a spade, that's what I have liked about the android environment.
7) I wanted him to call a spade a spade in no uncertain terms.
8) I mean, let's call a spade a spade, this is a monumentally dumb song.
9) The most natural thing for a writer to do is to call a spade a spade.
10) "Political Correctness" is the last refuge of a society too weak to call a spade a spade and deal intelligently with the reality that some people NEED to be offended .
11) Time to call a spade a spade. Time to investigate the ties and to prosecute those involved.
12) Perhaps it's time to call a spade a spade instead of playing the gutless appeasement game.
13) Where are the leaders, regardless of party, that will stand-up, call a spade a spade, and move toward sensible solutions to real problems.
14) Good post. However, I call a spade a spade. If you hate women, you are a misogynist.
15) It's time to call a spade a spade and realize that in California, everything is illegal and bankrupt.
16) In the interest of honesty, and disclosure, let's call a spade a spade.
17) So let's call a spade a spade. These guys hate government; perhaps they hate civilization.
18) The rock-o-rama that happens at the church is... let's call a spade a spade... a Halloween party.
19) Is it OK to be harsh, call a spade a spade as some say? Or is it better to be kind?
20) I think they mean that I call a spade a spade regardless of who I am talking to.