"to call it a day"
to decide to stop what you are doing (often work)
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are working on a huge project ...
Colleague 1: Well, we've been working since eight o'clock this morning and it's now eight o'clock at night. Let's call it a day, shall we?
Colleague 2: Good idea! I'm tired and would like to get something to eat.
Colleague 1: OK. We still have a lot of work to finish but we can do it tomorrow. Good night.
Two friends, who are on a canoe trip, are talking over their plans for the day ...
Friend 1: Alright. It's six o'clock and breakfast is almost finished.
Friend 2: What's the plan for today?
Friend 1: Looking at the map, I'd say that we should paddle until at least this set of rapids before calling it a day.
Friend 2: Could be a long day depending on conditions.
Friend 1: Let's see how it goes.
Calling it a day when all the work is finished is appropriate.
1) I buy my ticket, enjoy the play or concert, and call it a day. For me, it is essentially a one-night stand.
2) It was about 8:15 pm when we decided to call it a day and head for the ramp.
3) As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band.
4) You need to have a serious desire enough, when all are saying lets call it a day you will say good morning I am ready to work now.
5) So we thought we'd just call it a day and decided that we'd come again another day.
6) If that is the case I will just get a better router and call it a day.
7) It was nice while it lasted. Time to call it a day.
8) We decided to call it a day and what a great day I had today.
9) I'll just include as many of those ingredients as I can find and call it a day.
10) The deputies then told them they should quit immediately, and "call it a day".
11) Just post something that catches attention, draws readers to our site, and call it a day.
12) I'm not about to call it a day. I will keep trying to remain in the system.
13) Don't think that you can send in an essay and a transcript and call it a day. Extensive documentation is a major piece of government grants.
14) To me it seems more likely Emily Owens will air all episodes ordered than call it a day to save face.
15) I normally go to one store, buy a season worth of stuff and call it a day.
16) Surely Puck has enough money in the bank to call it a day and hang out with his family on the weekends.
17) You can't just throw this bad-boy in the fryer and call it a day.
18) I requested the individual remove the post in question and I would call it a day -- no harm, no foul.
19) That way you can boost your productivity, and it's easier to call it a day in the evenings or at the weekends.
20) Throw on an old white blanket and cut 2 holes for the eyes and call it a day.