"cap in hand"
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: This new system of financial control is driving me crazy.
Colleague 2: Why is that?
Colleague 1: Every time I need to buy a box of paper clips or a ream of paper, I have to go to the boss, cap in hand, and justify the expenditure.
Colleague 2: I agree that it can be a bit of a humbling experience.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How is married life?
Friend 2: I am starting to regret the decision to be a stay-at-home wife.
Friend 1: Why is that?
Friend 2: Because I have no money of my own, I always feel like I need to go cap in hand to my husband to ask for anything. It feels humiliating.
Going cap in hand to the boss for a raise puts you in a poor bargaining position.
1) Will it comply with accessible building standards; pass inspection? Should I go cap in hand and beg a free building course from the nearest education facility?
2) Already Citigroup has been forced to go to Dubai cap in hand and ask for billions in cash.
3) ... the era where the public was beholden to them and you went to the bank cap in hand.
4) Top state officials have gone cap in hand to the administration, armed with dire warnings of ...
5) ... Canadian Tour had and running up $700,000 in debts which meant he had to go cap in hand to the PGA Tour to bail it out.
6) BTW if my EUM was to show up on my doorstep tomorrow cap in hand.... I would close the door in his face.
7) The senior partners were forced to go cap in hand to Wall Street rival Shearson, which bought them out.
8) So, meekly, with cap in hand close to my heart, I have to say to all that ...
9) In fact, the UN must come cap in hand to the U.S. every time it determines to send peace keepers into some new ...
10) They could not go cap in hand to those who had already chipped in to help.
11) ... that a Paul Administration would freeze out the crony capitalists who go to Washington, cap in hand, looking for special favors.
12) ... at the Federal Reserve Bank for the issuance of coins alone. It must go cap in hand to taxpayers and bond buyers for the balance of its revenue.
13) You shouldn't be submitting resumes to other companies, cap in hand so to speak, worried they won't be interested because of your ...
14) The company has to go cap in hand to these commissions to ask for rate increases; they usually get them ...
15) we'll have to go cap in hand to global lenders like any other banana republic in search of a higher ...
16) Until we stop going cap in hand and begging for our rights, Corbett and his ilk like Nutter and ...
17) ... mismanaged businesses come cap in hand to try and cadge bailout bucks from Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
18) You don't see the oil companies having to go cap in hand for the oil depletion allowance every two years, do you?
19) And the SEC, unlike banking regulators, has to go cap in hand to Congress for budget approval.
20) Does it bother you that America has to go cap in hand to Russia begging for rides because NASA was so inept they could not ...