"to catch someone by surprise"
to surprise someone, especially in a way that makes the person feel confused or uncertain
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I heard you were called on to lead the staff meeting yesterday.
Colleague 2: I was completely caught by surprise. I wasn't sure how to proceed.
Colleague 1: Not being given any time to prepare must have been unnerving.
Colleague 2: Not to mention embarrassing as I stumbled through the agenda. I am still not sure why the boss did that.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: How did you do on Professor Smith's pop quiz this morning?
Student 2: That was the first time he has ever given a pop quiz.
Student 1: So it caught you a little by surprise?
Student 2: I'll say. I was totally unprepared and only scored 54%.
Student 1: Well, now we know pop quizzes can happen so you won't be surprised the next time.
Student 2: I will be careful to keep current with my studies in that class.
Catching the letter carrier by surprise by giving her a Christmas bonus, the letter carrier just stood dumbfounded.
1) It just kind of caught me by surprise because I've never been called up before, but it's pretty exciting.
2) The re-imagining caught me by surprise, crafting a unique, powerfully terrifying experience.
3) It kind of caught me by surprise, but I think after the surprise, I was quickly filled with excitement for ...
4) ... decision to retire had caught him by surprise. I was surprised when Gwen told me her plans for retirement, ...
5) It caught him by surprise, he wasn't a mind reader and when she straight up told him to ...
6) He said finding out his niece was a heroin user caught him by surprise.
7) It's incredible when life can completely surprise you and catch you by surprise.
8) ... irregular expenses into your budget from the start means they won't catch you by surprise or drain your emergency fund.
9) ... legitimately keeps the audience guessing what lies ahead and is guaranteed to catch you by surprise.
10) I wouldn't say he caught us by surprise, but he definitely stunned us a bit.
11) They came out blazing, and they kind of caught us by surprise, had us on our heels right away.
12) It kind of caught us by surprise. We were in shock I guess for about 30 seconds or so until we ...
13) One day, a lightning storm caught them by surprise, forcing them to pitch their tent near Leven Point.
14) ... not keep the conjoined twins any longer, the parent's plea caught them by surprise.
15) The timing of Stearns' death caught them by surprise. We were all heartbroken.
16) ... a very difficult and challenging thing to do, especially if it catches you by surprise.
17) ... this probably won't make much difference the next time a cockroach catches you by surprise. But hopefully it'll help you remain calm while you wait for the exterminator ...
18) ... avoid being dumped unceremoniously into the foaming water when a big wave catches you by surprise.
19) We just wanted to speed up the tempo of the game and catch them by surprise and it seemed to work.
20) This unexpected display of gratitude will catch them by surprise and brighten their spirits.