"(a) close shave"
a situation where something very unpleasant or dangerous nearly happens
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Hey. The boss is coming.
Colleague 2: Quick. Hide the game screen and pretend like we were working.
Colleague 1: Did she see anything? We could get into a lot of trouble for playing computer golf over the company's network.
Colleague 2: No. I don't think the boss caught us.
Colleague 1: Phew. That was a close shave. If she would have come in five seconds earlier, we would have been caught.
A couple are talking as the husband is just arriving home from work ...
Husband: Get your things. We are going out for supper.
Wife: Really? That's great. Are we celebrating something?
Husband: Yes. My narrow escape from a close shave with death.
Wife: What happened?
Husband: I was driving home on the highway when all of a sudden an oncoming semi-tractor truck crossed over into my lane and was coming straight at me. At the last split second, I was able to swerve and avoid certain death.
There is no gerund form for a close shave.
1) ... and drove along the A9 to Aviemore, having a close shave with an idiot overtaking in the other direction and cutting it rather fine.
2) ... had a close shave when a bulk carrier broke down and was only metres away from crashing into the ...
3) Despite fans wanting a finish from the champion, and despite a close shave in the third, the fight was an impressive shutout for the Canadian.
4) ... do so by mere inches. It's as though I've had a close shave in some absurd monster movie.
5) After a close shave by one of my relatives, the word 'cancer' is currently banned.
6) ... claimed that they had either been knocked off their bike or had a close shave with another road user during the past month alone.
7) In February of this year, the SES 4 satellite had a close shave when its solar arrays failed to deploy correctly and the satellite had to be shaken ...
8) After surviving a close shave when the flame blew close to his eyebrows, ...
9) ... nearly everyone feels it will be a close shave on whether we go down or not.
10) ... will be aware that it was a close shave, and one that they can not afford to repeat again.
11) ... in 5 drivers polled by AA Motor Insurance said that they have had a close shave or collision while driving in fog with many drivers sharing that it is the weather ...
12) Terence decided to take part as he had a close shave with skin cancer (malignant melanoma) surviving largely due to early diagnosis.
13) Kokate was still rattled when he spoke to DNA. It was a close shave. They examined me even as I was shaking.
14) ... plot to kill the police officers and escape. The police operatives had a close shave with death.
15) Abel's investigation, which begins with a close shave with a ritual murder, makes startling revelations of corruption in high places.
16) ... elected representatives would need to agree on it. It was a close shave as we only had 27 members present that day.
17) But there was one time where it had a close shave incident. In 1967. it barely survived an encounter with a swordfish, ...
18) Like many others, I have also a close shave with death when I almost got knocked down by a car which did not bother ...
19) ... realizing it had been a close shave for her husband, who was still dumb stricken by the narrow escape.
20) ... some tears and a learning experience, to Sean, it's a close shave and a stroke of luck we didn't end up in Casualty.