"to come across as"
to appear to have a particular attitude or character
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you had a chance to interact with the new manager?
Colleague 2: He comes across as ex-military, quite gruff and no-nonsense.
Colleague 1: Good observation. He was in the army for twenty years.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Your big job interview is tomorrow, right?
Friend 2: Yes. And I am very nervous. I really want this job. Any helpful suggestions for the interview?
Friend 1: Sure. Be careful not to touch your face, wring your hands, grab your ear or rub your eyes. These gestures all come across as suspicious.
Friend 2: Well, I certainly don't want to give that impression during a job interview.
Coming across as a person who doesn't really care, inside he had a kind and caring disposition.
1) I noticed your misandry came from years of rejection at the hands of men. You come across as angry and defensive, with a need to lash out at men.
2) ... on this page are for informational purposes only and should not in any way come across as a recommendation to buy or sell in these securities.
3) ... that for the narcissist is all about control. Sometimes the narcissist will come across as helpful, then when things don't work out, the table gets turned ...
4) His vehement speeches have divided opinion. But he can also come across as funny and accessible, playing his guitar live on television, giving a ride ...
5) ... not show his personal troubles on the outside. I do not come across as a very upset, sad person. It takes a lot to break me.
6) ... that you need to find an image for yourself. Do you want to come across as pretty? Cute? Warm? A smart Alec? Interesting? Exotic?
7) When you are able to provide convincing answers to these questions, you come across as someone who knows his stuff.
8) It is accepted that the totality of a man's life must come across as an improvement on the life that his father lived.
9) Your husband's insistence on the struggle makes him come across as a stubborn man.
10) Have you bragged too much about your personal and professional accomplishments, or ever come across as narcissistic?
11) ... a warmer, more home-inspired feeling. On the white tableware, it just comes across as flat and cold.
12) Against this backdrop, a person opposed to liberal ideals comes across as either willfully foolish or worse.
13) ... but his love for Iranian restaurants strewn across the city comes across as heartfelt.
14) Has some rather unsavoury views and generally comes across as deeply unpleasant. I hope he is a little happier in real life.
15) But whatever the excuse, it comes across as stalling.
16) ... is very business minded and he comes across as much softer in the flesh than on TV.
17) Her smile is wide and she has a calming presence. She comes across as a true and loving mother, who cares for everybody she meets.
18) Ruth's biggest turn-off when reading a script is if it comes across as a "cliched" story.
19) The story is far from original and comes across as dense. It trudges along with no genuine thrills or excitement, ...
20) He is right of centre but comes across as more open, socially liberal. He defies stereotypes.