"to come out of the closet"
to openly admit to being homosexual;
to openly admit a previously secret or hidden point of view (sometimes used humorously)
Related words and phrases:
After a two year relationship with Barbara ended, Steve was thinking about why his relationship failed. Steve examined his inner feelings and beliefs. He discovered that he had been hiding his true sexuality because of fear. Steve admitted to himself that he was gay. Steve decided that it was time to celebrate his homosexuality and...
come out of the closet.
This means that Steve will tell everyone in his life that he is homosexual.
Jean and Sylvia have been lovers for many years. They have always been careful not to display affection in public. Their friends and family do not know the true nature of their relationship. Jean and Sylvia decide that, in the present day, attitudes towards homosexuals have changed to the point where it is OK to be gay. They decide to...
come out of the closet.
Jean and Sylvia will tell their families and friends about their relationship. They will also begin to display affection towards each other in public as well as participate in activities and events that heterosexual couples participate in.
Coming out of the closet can be a traumatic and liberating experience.
1) Most professionals (including myself) still hadn't come out of the closet by the end of the 1970s.
2) I submit that the only reason she " came out of the closet " is for the publicity. Why else would someone broadcast their sexual preference(s).
3) I grew up here and came out of the closet in 1982, 1983. There have been moments of discrimination in my life.
4) He comes out of the closet and talks about gay marriage.
5) On Monday, the pair "came out of the closet," in the hopes that fans would understand their choice of sexuality.
6) As such they should own up and come "out of the closet" and say "We are fat and we love it".
7) His sweatiest secrets tumbling publicly "out of the closet" in televised sworn testimony.
8) His biggest electoral advantage was the mainstream media who "came out of the closet" to openly embrace their liberal icon President.
9) Racism has come raging and unembarrassed "out of the closet".
10) Gays and lesbians are afraid to come out of the closet because they were told that it wasn't right to be anything but straight.
11) Which active NFL player is the most likely to come out of the closet?
12) This song talks about a boy/girl who has just came out of the closet, and that has been rejected by his/her family.
13) Fear of being put in a box. Fear of being shoved out of the closet. An inability to be all of who you are in public.
14) Everyone suspects that Alan may be coming out of the closet when he becomes good friends with a gay man.
15) Jews are de-assimilating, or "coming out of the closet", if you like, and it is an unprecedented phenomenon.
16) More atheists will "come out of the closet" as society increasingly recognizes common values that transcend religion.
17) Hey Eric!! You need to come out of the closet and admit your biases.
18) As some readers here may know, James Randi just came out of the closet to reveal he is gay.
19) Should I jump out of the closet and join the love parade?
20) I don't think it is right to force Atheists "out of the closet". She is young, she just started her career in Washington.