shared beliefs or interests as a foundation for mutual understanding
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: These upcoming negotiations are going to be very difficult. The two sides have almost no shared beliefs or interests.
Colleague 2: Then we have to find some common ground.
Colleague 1: How?
Colleague 2: We start with the bigger questions like if each side agrees that they each want what is best for the people they represent. Then we continue to discover other similar points of agreement.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: We already have some common ground.
Friend 2: What's that?
Friend 1: We both want to play video games.
Friend 2: OK. What genre of game?
Friend 1: First-person shooter.
Friend 2: Agreed.
Friend 1: See. I told you we already had some points of mutual understanding and agreement.
Finding common ground is a good starting point for negotiations.
1) ... found common ground on the terms for quitting the bloc between those who backed opposing sides in the ...
2) ... a willingness to compromise on domestic issues allowed him to find common ground with political partners who had once branded him a terrorist, ...
3) ... but at the same time you can still come together with people and find common ground, whether that's with music or with politics.
4) ... well-being, and brings people together. It's all about finding common ground with shared stories and anecdotes.
5) ... the state could work with Trump on infrastructure improvements -- one possible area of common ground.
6) ... there were plenty of smiles and eye contact despite little common ground.
7) I believe we can find common ground based on our collective humanity rather than remaining divided based on superficial differences.
8) ... going to be a matter of compromise and getting around the table and finding common ground.
9) ... of all our fellow citizens. And to do what we can to establish common ground.
10) ... being in the same ethnic or cultural group matter less in terms of finding common ground.
11) ... said there is enough of a consensus now for buyers and sellers to find common ground.
12) ... positioned itself as a defender of the global trading system, further highlighting its common ground with the EU.
13) ... said "lines had been drawn" and there was now "no common ground" over the issue of the documents.
14) The common ground for both Urban Ladder and HomeLane is the principle of customer obsession. Both brands ...
15) If they can get together and find common ground on what is good for the city, then I think we will have won ...
16) ... the world's two largest economies were called on to seek common ground for cooperation amid political uncertainties ...
17) The two leaders showed little common ground Friday over a host of thorny issues, including NATO and defence spending.
18) ... resisting US demands to move away from multilateral agreements, further highlighting the common ground between the EU and China.
19) ... we do to try to bring people together and to try to find that common ground.
20) ... steadfast in their points of view. In some ways, the search for common ground seemed more distant than before, but all agreed that broaching the difficult subject of ...