angry, agitated, hysterical, out-of-control display of emotion
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I am afraid to go and tell the boss that I was not able to accomplish the task.
Colleague 2: Are you worried that the boss will have a conniption fit?
Colleague 1: She is rather passionate and does not like to be disappointed and easily loses her temper.
Colleague 2: Then you had better prepare yourself for a freak out and just go in there and get it over with.
A couple are talking ...
Wife: I am getting a little worried about our son. He seems to be very touchy lately and if I say anything that sounds like criticism, he has a conniption. Yesterday, when I suggested that he get a haircut, he started yelling and screaming at me that it was his body and none of my business. Then, he stomped to his room and slammed the door so violently that two pictures fell off the wall.
Husband: That sort of erratic and irrational, extreme behavior could be a sign that he is in trouble. Let's see if we can get him some help.
There is no gerund form for conniption (fit).
1) ... a cursory unbiased look at his past ought to send a normal person into a conniption fit. That said, I find your gripes amusing at best.
2) Despite my conniption fits over "and/or," I acknowledge it is not always obvious how to ...
3) If you tried that at home even if you were legit some one would have a conniption.
4) I'm so horrible. After I finished my little conniption, I realized that it didn't matter how she said it.
5) I do have to note something in my own self-defense though: The conniption fit came before I'd had any coffee.
6) ... that have sent the music and movie industries into froth at the mouth conniption fits. I expect the large publishers and houses to do something similar.
7) braces himself for some sort of paranormal conniption. While hysterical outbursts are a fairly common occurrence in country songs, it ...
8) My sister almost had a conniption when this story came out. It's, obviously, a complete work of fiction.
9) OK the editor is probably having a conniption fit because I am acting breathless again and can go on forever but I will ...
10) The parents had a conniption fit over the brutal Batman, so he was softened, with Robin added to ...
11) And that will be the end of him, as his constituents will have a conniption fit.
12) Even professors far less douche-baggy (neologism, FFS) than Langdell would throw a conniption fit if they weren't listed as being part of the faculty.
13) ... at the top of my voice, until losing myself in a foul conniption fit of ecstasy. He wiped a small quantity of spittle from the edge ...
14) Even that might be a bit of an understatement. Fossil fans threw a conniption when they mistakenly believed that paleontologists were taking the classic "three-horned face" away ...
15) ... heard this first in my county extension office where a first hand witness was having conniption fits about it.
16) ... society has been force fed a steady diet of fear that they have a conniption at idea of someone taking photographs of them.
17) ... (touching off a near-hysterical conniption from Karl Rove), talk of secession has been rampant.
18) ... until you have completed the series. I think I would have had a conniption fit if book four wasn't the last book in the series.
19) Later, she nearly has a conniption fit when Goldie flirts with a cute African-American guy.
20) Of course, on Christmas the damn thing broke so she had a conniption in the restaurant and we had to flee before dessert.