"to cross your fingers"
to hope that things will happen as you want them to;
to wish for good luck;
to literally put your middle finger over your index finger
Related words and phrases:
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Do you think you will do well on the exam today?
Student 2: Who knows? I always study but the professor can put some really difficult questions on the exam.
Student 1: Well, I really hope we get good grades.
Student 2: Let's cross our fingers, then.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I see that you are up for promotion again.
Colleague 2: I really hope that I get it this time.
Colleague 1: Cross your fingers.
Colleague 2: They are, thanks.
Crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is not the best solution to a current situation.
1) ... come back as quick as it goes so you've just got to cross your fingers and hope for the best.
2) But even he says that sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and hope that they'll get there.
3) ... you cross your fingers and hope you have made the right call.
4) February was kind and we were lucky. Cross your fingers for March.
5) ... something like that going on at some point, and you just cross your fingers, try to stay healthy, and hope it doesn't happen to you.
6) We can only cross our fingers and hope that the Mereen storyline is about to come to an end.
7) With mass production under way, we can cross our fingers that Nvidia's recently launched GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card will be readily available for ...
8) But with hope (and let's all cross our fingers here), we might actually have a usable segment of the King Coal Highway ...
9) Let us cross our fingers that government investigators can resolve in no time this hacking case.
10) We just have to sit and cross our fingers and hope that it don't change too much.
11) I believe Brazilian authorities are crossing their fingers and hoping no misfortune strikes during the Olympics.
12) ... and are receiving anywhere from 1,100 to 3,000 views. The two are crossing their fingers that the videos get seen on an international level.
13) The Government's policy on low milk prices seems to be one of crossing their fingers and hoping for the best, ...
14) ... to "solve" problems by copy-and-pasting code straight from StackOverflow and crossing their fingers, with little sense of what the code is doing or why it works.
15) ... with those unable or unwilling to pay for professional recruiting services left crossing their fingers that a hire will have the skills and experience needed to work within the team ...
16) I might have risked just dumping the liquid into drinks and crossing my fingers because testing whether it was effective wasn't a pleasant task.
17) ... so it felt like a massive step. I spent some time crossing my fingers and hoping that I was doing the right thing.
18) I'm crossing my fingers that whoever reads this will see that I am doing this tongue-in-cheek.
19) Temperature-wise I'm crossing my fingers for beautiful, sunny Colorado days.
20) We're not out of the woods yet but I am crossing my fingers that we will not see any broad-scale bleaching.