"someone's days are numbered"
to be about to die
Related words and phrases:
"something's days are numbered"
to be about to stop working or existing
Related words and phrases:
Two cousins are talking on the telephone ...
Cousin 1: I think you should book a flight to come and visit.
Cousin 2: Why is that?
Cousin 1: Grandma Jean's days are numbered.
Cousin 2: That's terrible news. How soon?
Cousin 1: The doctors say that she will die in the next couple of days.
Cousin 2: I'm on my way.
A husband and wife are talking ...
Wife: I think it is time to buy a new furnace.
Husband: Is it really necessary?
Wife: The repairman has had to fix it twice in the last three months and during his last visit he said that the furnace's days are numbered.
Husband: I guess if the furnace is going to stop working that we should start shopping for a replacement.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: James and I just started a new collaboration.
Colleague 2: That might not be such a good idea. His days with the company are numbered.
Colleague 1: What do you mean?
Colleague 2: His performance for the last two quarters has been really bad and he was warned that if his performance did not improve that he would be fired. His performance has not improved. James will be gone soon.
There is no gerund form for days are numbered.
1) Motorola's days are numbered. Earlier today Lenovo announced another round of layoffs, ...
2) Anyone who knows him should tell him that his days are numbered in parliament because our candidate will throw him out with a landslide win ...
3) ... warning traffickers that their days are numbered as the Tanzanian government will squarely deal with them.
4) ... claims that high rents may mean the shop's days are numbered.
5) That means the system's days are numbered. Their time is coming to an end.
6) ... say the ship's days are numbered if the necessary repairs aren't made.
7) We are putting these armed coffee thieves on notice that their days are numbered as stringent security measures are now in place.
8) ... with the hard reality that if they don't get a transplant their days are numbered, ...
9) ... we have a great, great fear that the Windsor site's days are numbered and that is not something that we are going to accept.
10) ... fallaciously think that if one is down with cancer, his or her days are numbered. I have been living with it for six years and aspire to live for ...
11) ... days are numbered, their future is disastrous, but they can save themselves from the disaster that ...
12) lost her sight last year, she says she is relieved that her days are numbered. "In the little time that's left to me -- and I hope ...
13) When you know your days are numbered, it really makes it clear what matters to you.
14) ... but at age 40, his basketball days are numbered.
15) ... was prioritized to serve notice to illegal aliens and foreign criminals that their days are numbered.
16) ... of a legend near the end of his career. He knows his days are numbered, but he's going to fight his heart out until the bitter end.
17) He knows his days are numbered and decides he's got to come up with some new plans.
18) I want to tell those in this illegal business that their days are numbered because we have started the process of closing illegal centres down.
19) ... but its days are numbered due to an unfavourable combination of technological obstacles and manufacturing economics.
20) The High Sparrow's days are numbered (hopefully). Cersei and Jaime plan a plot to eliminate the High Sparrow.