"to do time"
to serve a sentence by spending a period of time in prison
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I was hoping to help my friend, Carl, get a job here.
Colleague 2: I do not think that will be possible. The company has a policy against hiring people who have done time.
Colleague 1: But Carl was only in jail for a short time and it was a minor crime.
Colleague 2: Nonetheless, Carl has a criminal record and will not be considered.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I haven't seen Tanya for a while.
Friend 2: She is doing time for aggravated assault. When her boyfriend got violent with her, she fought back, lost control and put him in the hospital.
Friend 1: Poor Tanya. How long is she in prison for?
Friend 2: Two years.
Doing time in prison can severely restrict your job options after you get out.
1) Anybody charged with and convicted of rape ought to do time in state prison.
2) Police officers who do wrong things need to go to jail and need to do time. That's accountability.
3) Instead of doing court-ordered programs, he opted to do time, so he could get out earlier, and earn an income.
4) Those convicted of an election offense will have to do time in jail and will be disqualified from holding public office.
5) Rich people hire lawyers and never do time. Poor people go to prison.
6) ... a former Londoner who did time in an American prison for selling pot seeds into the U.S., ...
7) But there's innocent people I did time with who are still in prison.
8) ... other people seeking release was previously jailed on robbery and firearms charges, another did time for drugs offences.
9) ... he did time for assault and attempted robbery.
10) ... and after he turned 18, did time in jail for charges related to robbery.
11) ... based his brooding performance on his own family members doing time in jail.
12) ... folks need to see is police being arrested and going to jail and doing time.
13) ... is currently doing time in prison for an armed robbery.
14) ... facing the law and doing time for the crimes they commit.
15) I see no point in him doing time. The family needs to be reminded also that their son broke the law.
16) ... be able to cope with prison life himself. "I've never done time in prison, ...
17) ... is a blight on his family, having done time in prison for illegally manufacturing guns.
18) This is a political process. All revolutionaries have done time.
19) ... it employs about 40 people, most of whom have done time in prison, and operates as a worker-owned co-operative.
20) In jail, too. The fact that he's done time in prison for assault, ...