"(to be) down and out"
to have no luck, no money and no opportunities
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I saw Larry the other day. He is living on the street, has no job and no money. Looks like life is not giving him any opportunities.
Friend 2: That is so sad. Larry used to be so successful and had everything going for him.
Friend 1: I know. I was shocked to see him so down and out.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I stopped by your house the other day and saw that you are not living there anymore.
Friend 2: Things have been really bad since I lost my job. I couldn't make the mortgage payments so the bank foreclosed on the house.
Friend 1: Where are you living?
Friend 2: I am so poor that I had to rent a room in a house in a down-and-out neighborhood.
Friend 1: Sorry to hear that. I hope life improves for you soon.
Being down and out, he wandered the streets homeless and broke.
1) But I always believed I should be a star. When I was down and out, and nobody believed in Brandon, my mom believed in me.
2) But, Al spent too much money. Soon my friend was down and out again. He had no money left.
3) ... choice-less predicament, I decided to go with this tall strange man; I was down and out and needed a place to stay.
4) Now, let's say that you are down and out and have absolutely no offers coming in.
5) ... out to others, serving Christmas dinner to the homeless or to those who are down and out will be an experience that will change the way your children view Christmas.
6) ... was destitute. What can you do for someone else, even though you are down and out? It is a good thing to do the unexpected in hard times.
7) ... that Britain is down and out, that the foundations of our commerce and industrial greatness have been sapped ...
8) Many times we say he is down and out, but he always surprises us and bounces back.
9) If someone is down and out, they are desperately poor and need help.
10) Sensing that he could make some money, as he is down and out, he takes on the job and drives the girls to Melbourne for ...
11) ... desperate. They resonate with such people by telling stories of how they too were down and out, living in the gutter, just a few years ago.
12) Going through life knowing you're down and out and, even worse, no one cares, is a devastating thing.
13) Microsoft still have $67bn in cash reserves so I don't think they're down and out just yet.
14) ... family services may be able to help you cover some living expenses while you're down and out, and don't forget about organizations like the Salvation Army and the ...
15) A few quid is a lot when you're down and out and hard up for cash.
16) It's all very nice to tell people to be more compassionate towards the down-and-out, the homeless, drug addicted or mentally ill -- but try coping with that ...
17) ... it clear by now that God operates quite differently? He chose the world's down-and-out as the kingdom's first citizens, with full rights and privileges.
18) ... he is an example of what can be achieved, even by a lone, down-and-out individual begging for wine money on city streets, when there is hope of a ...
19) Churchgoers looked aghast as a scruffy down-and-out huddled in the church doorway as they arrived for morning service.
20) There was also some weak social commentary about down-and-out people scraping by as best they could in a society that's meant to be ...