"to be down in the dumps"
to be sad or depressed;
to be unhappy
Related words and phrases:
Randy is working in his backyard. His shoulders are drooping and his face looks very sad. Randy does a little work and then sits in a chair with his head in his hands. Then Randy continues to shuffle around his yard aimlessly. Randy's neighbor, Mark, looks over their adjoining fence ...
Mark: Hey neighbor! How's it going?
Randy: Not so good. I'm feeling quite sad and depressed.
Mark: What's the matter?
Randy: My girlfriend dumped me.
Mark: Well, that explains why you're looking so down in the dumps.
James is a middle aged man. He lost his job one year ago. He could not make his mortgage payments and lost his house six months ago. James' wife left with the kids last month. James is living in his parents' basement. James is feeling sad and depressed.
Would you say that James is down in the dumps?
Being down in the dumps is not a good feeling.
1) I am down in the dumps when I feel sad.
2) You are down in the dumps when you are depressed.
3) He is down in the dumps when he is unhappy.
4) She is down in the dumps when her boyfriend dumps her.
5) We are down in the dumps when we lose the championship game.
6) You (all) are down in the dumps when you are fired from your job.
7) They are down in the dumps when they receive bad news.
8) If you're down in the dumps right now, have faith, for you will emerge from the storm.
9) He's been pretty down in the dumps.. and I hope this party will cheer him up.
10) Did you feel so down in the dumps that nothing could cheer you up?
11) I'm going to have days where I get down in the dumps and don't apply the think by design principles.
12) I was feeling a bit down in the dumps so we both figured that retail therapy would be the right pick me upper.
13) The other week, I was really down in the dumps so he arranged a spa weekend at The Sanctuary in London for me.
14) I'm not coming out tonight, I'm feeling a little down in the dumps.
15) If you are down in the dumps or depressed, watch this movie and your spirits will be lifted.
16) Of course being down in the dumps at your bad luck and being clinically depressed are two different things.
17) Your interviewer knows that the economy is down in the dumps and that jobs in various industries are scarce.
18) I'm not down in the dumps or anything, just in a rut I guess.
19) If you are feeling sad and down in the dumps, try exercising to help lift your spirits.
20) My wife seemed down in the dumps and I thought she knew but she didn't.