to do something repeatedly until you know how to do it without a mistake;
to perfect an activity
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Are you all ready for the big presentation?
Colleague 2: I have been memorizing my lines for days now. I think I have the presentation down pat.
Colleague 1: Good. We need to have this presentation go off flawlessly. This is a huge potential account for the company.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard you are going to be playing your guitar for a big record producer?
Friend 2: It is a big break for me. I really hope it goes well.
Friend 1: I suppose you have been practicing non-stop for days?
Friend 2: More like weeks. I have been rehearsing and rehearsing and rehearsing some more. I have all the chord changes down pat.
Friend 1: Great. Since you have the mechanics memorized, perhaps you can relax a little and enjoy the experience.
There is no gerund form for down pat.
1) By the third candidate I had my questions down pat. At the end of it my boss and I discussed what we thought.
2) Now that you're armed with tools and have the Twitter basics down pat, how do you use Twitter to your advantage?
3) ... let's say that you spent 5 hours with me to get this program down pat to do it on your own going forward.
4) ... you need until you feel that your ready and that you have the song down pat.
5) Google clearly has this Maps thing down pat, but even Google admits that it's not "perfect" yet.
6) You've got this new dance down pat and you're making it look effortless and beautiful!
7) I've resolved to work harder at practicing the vices until I have them down pat, like second nature, at which point I will know enough to be really ...
8) I have been making and tweaking granola for years and had a house recipe down pat.
9) They are easy to memorize, and once one has this down pat, some simple calculations allow you to do this for any year.
10) You have the first requirement down pat, the ability to ignore reality with a straight face.
11) ... that she could understand basic grammar rules that we were all supposed to have down pat by grade five.
12) ... for any position; even if a potential candidate has every skill you need down pat, if they don't fit into your organization's corporate culture, you'll ...
13) It's easy for me to think I've got this parenting thing down pat. After all, come February I will have been at it for 21 years.
14) I need to get that down pat first before I go out there and try to make a fool of myself.
15) ... but you are still working on getting the technique down pat. By the third workout you will have a good feel for the exercise and ...
16) As an introvert we already have some of the social skills down pat -- listening, asking questions, concentrating, and more.
17) Don't let him do anything else but practice race starts. Once he gets those down pat, everything else should fall into place.
18) Work on your elevator pitch and your overall sales presentation until you've got it down pat!
19) This means you need to get the delivery of these words down pat! This is the most important part of your entire call.
20) ... still working hard at perfecting my home's organization. I had it nearly down pat before I started the renos, but it's been a bit of a struggle.