so distressingly loud and shrill that it hurts the ears
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What are you doing back to soon? I thought you were going to the park.
Friend 2: I was enjoying the park until some idiot carrying a portable music system started playing music at ear-popping volumes. It was just too loud so I came home.
Friend 1: It's sad when ignorant people like that ruin an experience for everyone else.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was the concert?
Friend 2: Absolutely fantastic. The band had the biggest sound system I have ever seen. It was so loud, all we could hear was the music. It's too bad that you didn't come.
Friend 1: I find that sort of ear-popping cacophony distressing but I am glad you enjoyed the concert.
There is no gerund form for ear-popping.
1) ... temperatures, solitary confinement, slammed into walls, deprived of sleep and bombarded with ear-popping heavy metal music.
2) The noise level depends on where you sit -- in one room it was ear-popping, but there's a serene space to the immediate right of the entrance, ...
3) The crowd was growing louder and louder as the snap neared, approaching ear-popping levels.
4) But you were happy, because you just got to create general mayhem at ear-popping volume, and you got CAKE.
5) The same could be said of South Africans who insisted on blowing their ear-popping vuvuzela plastic trumpets at their World Cup in 2010.
6) ... drove past my apartment a few times a week with the speakers cranked up to ear-popping levels.
7) CIA's 'dark prison' in Kabul, he was forced to listen to ear-popping music 24 hours a day for a month.
8) ... and, judging by the ear-popping screams that greet stars like JLS and One Direction when they step near a stage ...
9) The channel reverberated with the ear-popping boom of warship guns and rockets.
10) An ear-popping shriek rent the air, as both disappeared from view through the doorway.
11) Increasingly, down my way, it's the ear-popping screech of overflying Ring-Necked Parakeets - but that is a most unEnglish sound and, ...
12) ... receive before we pulled up on to the drive, from an enthusiastic band playing ear-popping pipe music and bashing their drums at top volume.
13) ... he was thrown backwards, an ear-popping blast detonating in the relative confines of the quiet, mostly residential street.
14) ... but his church has been described (by a sympathiser) as having the most ear-popping music of any, and he has been rebuked by other preachers for the use ...
15) ... and gradually acquiring grit, acid and extra percussion until they peak as screeching, ear-popping beasts.
16) ... with all members of the band taking turns at solos. They came back to ear-popping applause and screams for an encore with ...
17) It was a primal yell that urged him on, heartfelt and magnificently ear-popping.
18) ... the PA emitting ear-popping shrieks of feedback as it struggled with the volume, ...
19) ... every couple of hours during the night. Your baby's screams will be ear-popping. Their volume can reach an incredible 97 decibels, ...
20) Learn to make an ear-popping whistle with two fingers in your mouth.