"to eat dirt"
be forced to admit a humiliating mistake
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I made a huge mistake on the budget projection.
Colleague 2: Have you told the boss?
Colleague 1: No. I am afraid of the humiliation.
Colleague 2: It will be worse if you wait and the boss uses your figures for the next step.
Colleague 1: I suppose that I will go and eat dirt, then, and admit my error to the boss.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was your hike? Todd didn't make it to the top did he? I knew he wouldn't.
Friend 2: Actually, Todd was the first one to the top. I guess you were wrong.
Friend 1: Really? Wow! I never expected that. But I can eat dirt and admit when I was wrong. Todd. Well done! I was wrong.
Eating dirt is not the most pleasant experience.
1) My turn to eat dirt. I was wrong. No excuses, no whining -- I was simply wrong.
2) These revised calculations force me to eat dirt and take back what I had previously mused about re: boosting education funding.
3) ... you will make so many fools crow with pride and so many intelligent people eat dirt with humility.
4) ... that were negative of the Raptors and were absolutely convinced that we would all eat dirt because the team was going to surprise everyone and make a playoff push.
5) ... always picked himself up and dusted off his leathers. He's had to eat dirt more than once but it bounces off him like bullets off Superman.
6) Ducati actually had to eat dirt by coming out with the 1199 based on the GP bike while Prezioso abandoned it Ducati actually had to eat dirt by coming out with the 1199 based on the GP bike while Prezioso abandoned it.
7) Nonetheless, there is nobody left to blame. So eat dirt, learn, that's it.
8) ... you've made a mistake, make amends immediately. It's easier to eat dirt while it's still warm.
9) ... pushed all the wrong buttons and now there is little they can do but eat dirt.
10) ... pushed all the wrong buttons and now there is little they can do but eat dirt.
11) Dick Morris and Michael Barone have already come out to eat dirt. There are plenty of others who ought to own up their misjudgments, too.
12) I mean, if you can cite something, I'll gladly eat dirt. Until then, I'm just going to have consider your whole line of ...
13) They bought the ticket, they get the ride. And they get to eat dirt -- and take full blame -- when their profoundly out-of-touch candidate fails.
14) Bottom line, we probably can not trust the school board to eat dirt and admit they made a huge financial mistake.
15) Not to worry, though. He's offered to eat dirt if he's wrong about any of it.
16) If the former is the case, guess I'll be eating dirt for predicting Bianka as the winner.
17) Or will I end up eating dirt and find myself thoroughly charmed by this movie, ...
18) The bitter truth is hard to swallow and eating dirt is beneath our exalted and false pride, which prevents us from looking at things ...
19) ... eventually they got the changes done, but not before 'eating dirt' for quite some time.
20) Eating dirt is for someone who's prediction turns out to be wrong.