"to err on the side of caution"
to be cautious;
to do something that is not necessarily essential but can prevent something unpleasant from happening
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: That is one impressive piece of work. That represents a lot of hours of hard work.
Colleague 2: You have uploaded it to the cloud, right?
Colleague 1: Absolutely.
Colleague 2: And have you made a copy on a flash drive?
Colleague 1: Is that really necessary? There is a copy on my computer, on the company cloud and on your computer.
Colleague 2: To err on the side of caution, yes, another copy on a flash drive that we can keep off-premises would absolutely safeguard our hard work in the unlucky circumstance of something catastrophic happening at work.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: There is only a forty percent chance of rain in the forecast.
Friend 2: Take your umbrella anyways.
Friend 1: Why bother?
Friend 2: Better to err on the side of caution just in case it rains.
Friend 1: I suppose it can't hurt to take an umbrella.
Erring on the side of caution will not necessarily drive a business forward.
1) To err on the side of caution, I grabbed the storage units and slipped them into the cowl.
2) So, to err on the side of caution and remove any possibility of leaving out one ...
3) ... can be transmitted through blood to blood contact. So just to err on the side of caution, your friend should probably consult his doctor.
4) ... want to waste a lot of time, you can always err on the side of caution and lock down as much as possible. Just visit your privacy settings page.
5) ... so I tend to stick with the 2x rule just to err on the side of caution. There are always processes that require extraordinary amounts of memory.
6) ... and just to err on the side of caution, I avoided high traffic area and public transport.
7) If you really want to err on the side of caution, purchase a 64-gigabyte iPod Touch (the largest available storage capacity).
8) ... in their best interest to keep your idea confidential. Just to err on the side of caution, though, describe your product or service in your business plan, but ...
9) ... risky move, for sure, and probably one he should've erred on the side of caution with.
10) ... types of questions, like those about benefits and vacation. To err on the side of caution, concentrate on questions about the job's responsibilities and how you fit the ...
11) ... slight chance that quinine causes birth defects, so, to err on the side of caution, pregnant women should avoid quinine-containing beverages and drugs.
12) To err on the side of caution, you can disable Java in your browser to prevent malicious applets from running.
13) ... she pressed the save button once more, just to err on the side of caution, then closed the document and shut the computer down.
14) To always back the status quo, always err on the side of caution -- that doesn't lead to good governance internationally.
15) If you want to err on the side of caution, you can export photographic images using Web Safe colors and dithering.
16) That is why it is always good to err on the side of caution and use correct grammar; it helps avoid misunderstandings and general miscommunication.
17) ... refer to them as the "British." Just to err on the side of caution, avoid using the term "English" to describe anyone. Avoid discussing ...
18) ... damaged, diseased, or dead leaves, remove them. To err on the side of caution, throw them in the trash rather than in the compost pile.
19) Bach said officials were erring on the side of caution with today's evacuation orders.
20) Marriage to a brother's wife was illegal, and to err on the side of caution the Pope granted them a dispensation (special permission) to marry.