"fair and square"
completely honest and just
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Do you think Patrick used his influence with the boss to earn the promotion ahead of me?
Colleague 2: No. I believe that Patrick earned the promotion fair and square. Earning the promotion was based solely on performance as measured in new business brought in and the numbers don't lie. Patrick honestly outperformed you.
Colleague 1: I suppose you are right. There really was no way to cheat.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I can't believe we lost the game. The referees were terrible. I think they were biased against our team.
Friend 2: The refs called the game just fine. The other team simply played better than we did. We were not having a good day.
Friend 1: OK. You're right. They won fair and square.
There is no gerund form for fair and square.
1) If you paid into Social Security -- it's yours fair and square. If you paid into MediCare -- it's yours fair and square.
2) He won the ball fair and square and made no contact with the opposing player.
3) He won fair and square. He got more votes, and that's the way our system works.
4) They lack the character to simply admit that they got beat fair and square in the economic aspects of the game of life.
5) ... even if you were right and you won fair and square in a court of law.
6) Actually, Hardy got his title shot fair and square after beating the top WW in Swick in a title eliminator fight.
7) The Dems can't do anything fair and square, they mislead, they lie, and they cheat.
8) ... like children, crying and throwing their toys when they lose the game fair and square.
9) She's been smart, creative and got it fair and square. Well played, Amanda.
10) ... hard earned money betting on the races would like to win or lose fair and square. Does it make one a 'hater' because they want clean horse races?
11) ... developers and users decide by momentum. May the best architecture win, fair and square.
12) I want to win fair and square, and because I don't want people to question the validity of my winning.
13) This is meaningless debate, all the people mentioned won fair and square. Maybe they have never won before or since, but they won that one.
14) He beat everyone fair and square because they were all cheating.
15) Yes, I was mad but in all honesty... it was fair and square.
16) No, she got that money fair and square and perfectly legally!
17) The guys in the starting lineup won their jobs fair and square in the preseason.
18) If I earned the money fair and square how does the way I spend it affect your life?
19) The two previous initiatives told them they can't win fair and square. So they resort to deception.
20) ... she won the bet fair and square and now they are trying to welch.