"fair to middling"
not very good but not bad
Related words and phrases:
A manager and team member are having a meeting ...
Manager: I am sorry to say that your work has only been fair to middling lately.
Team Member: Sorry boss. I know you expect excellence but my work hasn't been bad.
Manager: You're right. Your work is OK but I really expect more. You have a lot of potential. Perhaps you need to apply yourself more.
Team Member: I will work harder.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Good morning. How are you?
Friend 2: Fair to middling. How about you?
Friend 1: I'm doing great, thanks for asking. Why are you only feeling fair to middling?
Friend 2: I didn't sleep well last night and have a lot on my mind.
Friend 1: I hope things get better for you.
Friend 2: Thanks.
There is no gerund form for fair to middling.
1) From now on, we will describe ourselves not as excellent but as 'fair to middling'.
2) ... and from there went on to get what he refers to as a fair to middling history degree from the LSE.
3) The end of this fair to middling Keanu Reeves action flick contains a massive explosion -- cue credits.
4) At school she is fair to middling. But she doesn't mind.
5) ... to help predict the weather, and for that purpose they do a fair to middling job.
6) And yes there's a fair to middling chance that it could happen to all of mankind in the next few centuries.
7) ... winning the Emirates Stakes, coming from nowhere and has great talent, but to temper that, his stats are only fair to middling when he's fresh.
8) Instead, he's back in the (anti-) superhero game stronger than ever (even regardless of the box office and the fair-to-middling critics' reviews so ...
9) At fair to middling speeds the 911 is surprisingly docile, asking you via the dash to up-shift quite prematurely in a bid to save fuel.
10) That sticky nicotine tar is a fair to middling insecticide, and without it pest populations have exploded.
11) And perhaps the biggest question of all: Can Pelfrey, who has been fair to middling his entire career, put up a career season he's never ...
12) Too, many of the paintings, unfortunately, are less superb than fair to middling.
13) Twenty-two of those 89 lots failed to sell, for a fair-to-middling buy-in rate by lot of 25 percent.
14) Demand for corrugated board products and corrugated case material was fair to middling in the UK at the start to middle of January.
15) ... or perhaps because of them — tech retailers reported just a fair to middling holiday cycle after all the Christmas receipts were counted.
16) Adam has had a pretty fair to middling collegiate career, he will finish with 2 degrees and somewhere over 1,000 total varsity points.
17) Shade is an imperfect poet, it seems to me, but the grief that suffuses the poem, even in its fair-to-middling qualities, is immense.
18) Mathieu Flamini has been filling in for Le Coq and has done a fair to middling job, but his age is beginning to tell and we`re being left a little ...
19) Vidya is one of the senior staff members at this fair to middling educational institution, which has thus far functioned smoothly.
20) In fact, despite my fair-to-middling showing at school, I turned out to be pretty good at the real thing.