"to fight a losing battle"
to be aware of and continue to work or try to move forward even though you are making no progress
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What are you working on?
Friend 2: I'm trying to get this computer to work. I've been working on it for a week trying every different kind of procedure I can think of to make it work again. I just can't seem to get it to work.
Friend 1: Sounds like your hard drive is bad.
Friend 2: I agree. I think I'm fighting a losing battle.
Two businessmen are talking ...
Businessman 1: How are the sales of that new cell phone going?
Businessman 2: Not very good. We keep spending more money on advertising and promotion and still sales aren't improving. We've even started to reduce the price.
Businessman 1: Sounds like you're fighting a losing battle. Maybe it's time to admit defeat and take on the next challenge.
Businessman 2: I think you're right.
Fighting a losing battle can be frustrating.
1) One in four Australian vegetable growers is facing financial ruin as they fight a losing battle against cheap processed imports.
2) Do some people just fight a losing battle when they should be taking advantage of the red tones in their hair?
3) What does Obama think committing the US financial and material resources to fight a losing battle in Libya will add to his dwindling political fortunes?
4) But even the bulk of this massive bulldozer seemed to fight a losing battle against the singular will of the forest.
5) Others fight a losing battle with landlords and are constantly in debt because they have to raise loans.
6) And I don't have the strength to watch them fight a losing battle.
7) Those waiting to disembark had to fight a losing battle against those trying to board, and it was each man for himself.
8) I've been watching my older PCs at home fight a losing battle with GMail, all the time thinking IE had been compromised.
9) People who are frustrated by the amount of advertising in society fight a losing battle.
10) Those who wish to protect intact functioning ecosystems fight a losing battle.
11) Hate and bigotry are fighting a losing battle.
12) Stopping English language abuse is a debilitating, losing battle.
13) I also realize that this might very well be a losing battle.
14) The recent reports from Citi and Wells Fargo indicating that law firms are fighting a losing battle in the expense-versus-revenue war can hardly be surprising.
15) Douglas was adamant, though, and Hawkins knew she was fighting a losing battle.
16) It's hard but I think its a losing battle for government to continue this fight.
17) Now, she's in the death throes of a losing battle against time and fashion irrelevance.
18) It fills me with pride, but also causes me despair because it's a losing battle.
19) It's a losing battle, so manipulate the mechanisms.
20) The Amalgamated had no choice but to call a strike. But it was a losing battle. The union surrendered after fourteen months.